Join Me On My Journey To Start The First Variety Hatchery In New Zealand!

strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
So, first I'll tell you the story of how ridiculously overpriced EVERYTHING chicken related is in New Zealand. So I'll use Barred Rocks as an example, what would be considered a 'hatchery quality' chicken in the USA costs about $12.50 for an UNSEXED chick! As a general rule a SINGULAR EGG costs $3.50, and a started pullet costs $50.00. I personally think this is ridiculous! I aim to make starting your own flock of friendly chickens as easy and cost efficient as possible. As of now, there are three hatcheries in New Zealand. One shut down three years ago, but was still overpricing its chicks and wasn't available as a service to the general public, and the other two are broiler and brown shavers ONLY. So, now you know my situation, I need help with a few things.

1. So uhh, there is a major issue with my plan... We are on alternative power... The power could hardly run one twelve egg incubator, let alone multiple hundred egg incubators. So I need broodies, and lots of them. I'm thinking silkie bantams or OEGBS, I could easily get OEGBS as we have a poultry show every year and there is ALWAYS OEGBS

2. Follow my adventure collecting breeds and birds, I'm gonna need quite a few if I want a variety hatchery

3. Finding a courier willing to express ship live day old chicks, (minimum of three in Summer, five or six in Winter)

4. Find out if I need any legal papers or permits, I'm pretty young, but I don't know...

5. Calculate feed per chicken, the cost of that feed, and any other costs

6. Be able to manage diseases and epidemics that may break out, also figure out how I am going to mange diseases transmitted from visitors flocks, as most of my mum's friends have chickens

7. Have an efficient way of disposing of dead chicks and birds

8. Have lots of cost effective breeding pens

9. Decide if I will sell chicks by pre-order or just have hatch dates that people pre order from!

I am open to ALL advice and suggestions that anyone may have! This is my goal, and I WILL follow through with it.

Sounds like an amazing adventure. Number 8 caught my eye I've been watching some chicken videos on youtube and you might be interested in this video
. I know that the first bit doesn't apply to your problem but if you skip to where they're talking about the chicken coops. Take a look at the design he used for those tractors would something like that work for you?
Hope I helped a bit
chick2chicken

Sounds like an amazing adventure. Number 8 caught my eye I've been watching some chicken videos on youtube and you might be interested in this video
. I know that the first bit doesn't apply to your problem but if you skip to where they're talking about the chicken coops. Take a look at the design he used for those tractors would something like that work for you?
Hope I helped a bit
chick2chicken

Thanks! Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom