Join them or separate them???

alentejano

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Im starting the planning of a coop in my backyard, in Portugal. Here there is no law, like you can see in the news, some corrupt guys created a debt, knowing the country didn't have a way of paying it, and now we all have to pay, so i can raise some chickens like i want because nobody cares about it... this is portuguese sense of humor.

My question is, should i build a single coop and a single run for laying hens and meat chickens or do i need to separate them from eatch other and built two coops and two runs??

Thanks.

What kind of meat chickens? Do you have access to something like the hybrid Cornish cross that's used in the US poultry industry, or will you be raising a more traditional heavy bird?

Heritage or dual purpose type birds can probably mix with laying hens just fine.

It's these bowling balls on legs that don't act much like normal chickens that are best kept separate. :)

That said... if you have the space and resources to build separate coops and runs, you'll probably be happier with that setup. It will give you the flexibility to bring along replacement layers without the young ones getting picked on by the mature birds, or to feed your meat birds a different diet if you want.

-Wendy

I have three separate coops. I have one for adults, one for juveniles, and one for hatching and brooding. I raise dual purpose birds. Some are meat specific (extra cockerels and unneeded hens), some are egg producers. All adults are in the same coop. I have 4 rooms in one coop. One room is just for egg laying. One is for pullets getting ready to transition into the lay room. The one room is specific for feed out birds. One room is for supplies, food, straw, medication, bowls etc.. I move my hatched out birds into the juvenile house to make decision about keep, sell or cull

Thanks to you all, im going to separate them, it would not be easy to have them together.

Back
Top Bottom