Joint soreness and swolleness

Shavings is ok if the layer is thick enough to make it impossible for them to touch the bottom.

I thought you meant there we on the cardboard itself.

Can you take a picture of the box with them in it now?
They have plenty of room to run around and they can go to the other end of the box to get away from the heat.

Attachments

• 20230423_142606.jpg
    20230423_142606.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 3
They have plenty of room to run around and they can go to the other end of the box to get away from the heat.
To me, it looks like you don't have enough space for them. I think they need double the space you are giving them now for their current age. Space requirements increase as they get older, but IMO when they huddle all together and fill half your space while laying down, that's not enough room. They should be in 1/4 of your space while laying down, and then as they grow, give them more room to keep that ratio.

I can't comment on the joint issue, but they could be piling on top of each other, creating unseen internal injuries, or suffocating each other. Also possible that a few might be getting over heated. Or some combination of the above.

Good switch on the bedding. Straight cardboard could have been contributing to/causing joint issues (I know it can mess up their legs but have not experienced it myself), but I think you may also have a few more things going on.

This looks quite crowded to me. If the recommendation is .5 sqft per bird at that age, and my fast guess is that you have maybe 30 birds there, then you'd want them in at least 3'x5'.

It's easy to collect a few large cardboard boxes and use zip ties to make a little "corral" with them, and the chicks don't try to jump out for at least a few weeks.

Along with more room, you should also elevate those food and water dispensers a bit. When they get full of shavings like that it makes it difficult for them to get anything to eat and drink. Keep an eye on those and refill as needed. That many broiler chicks are going to go through that little bit of food and water very quickly. You are probably going to need to get a few more of those before long so that they all have room to eat at the same time. Personally I would have 3 for feed and 3 for water for 30 chicks.

I had them separated into a couple different large containers with the heat lamp split up between those 2 containers so each side of their containers got a little heat. I moved them all on together just this morning after I saw another one dead, thinking that maybe they weren't getting enough heat and moving them in together with 1 heat lamp would help. At this age (with how fast they are growing) do you all think that a constant heat lamp directly in each container is still neccesary? Or is the splot on heat okay? I really don't feel as though they aren't getting enough food and water because their waterers are constantly full and they have access to food at all times.

Also, there was yet another one this morning that was on the verge of death, so I pulled it out and have been trying to nurse it back to health. I've been pretty unsuccesful and it's acting just like the others have before they die. They'll roll their heads around and around with eyes closed for a while, then they'll pull their heads back (and if I try to pull them back down they'll lift them back again), then it almost seems as though their heads get stuck back like that and I can't move them down. They'll start opening their mouths almost like they're trying to peep, but no noise is coming out, then they'll die.

Update: I've separated them again and made it so that they each are getting equal heat. I also put a chick feeder in the container with the most chicks. Some of the chicks seem a little lethargic just wanting to sleep, but they're still drinking and eating. I may give them some electrolyte water later.

do you all think that a constant heat lamp directly in each container is still neccesary?

They look like they only have some of their wings feathers, is that right? About a week old? They still need heat. Have you tested to see how warm it is on the shavings underneath the lamp? I don't use heat lamps but I believe you'll want it to be about 85 to 90 at this stage depending on the ambient temperature.

Sorry that you are losing so many of them. I think you'll have much better luck with an improved set up with the correct amount of space and heat. They could be getting over heated or under heated and/or injured from piling up.

How were you feeding them before you put the chick feeder in there?

Last edited:
They look like they only have some of their wings feathers, is that right? About a week old? They still need heat. Have you tested to see how warm it is on the shavings underneath the lamp? I don't use heat lamps but I believe you'll want it to be about 85 to 90 at this stage depending on the ambient temperature.

Sorry that you are losing so many of them. I think you'll have much better luck with an improved set up with the correct amount of space and heat. They could be getting over heated or under heated and/or injured from piling up.

How were you feeding them before you put the chick feeder in there?
They are starting to get wing feathers and tail feathers, and some on their necks. I just sprinkle the feed around in larger piles. It's almost like they start to get rigor mortis before they die, and then by the time they're actually dead they're completely stiff. Thank you, I just hope I can figure this out!

I just sprinkle the feed around in larger piles
Ah, this is most likely the cause of them dying. They could very well be eating old moldy feed and/or wood chips. Without grit they would not be able to grind up any small pieces of wood they may have ingested, which could block up their digestive system. I would get them some chick grit asap and keep the food in feeders only. I prefer this style for little chicks.

1682297457831.png

Back
Top Bottom