Josephine Kidded!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Apr 12, 2009.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Official drama queen title for our farm goes to Jo! She was throwing a FIT all day - yelling, pawing, running madly around, laying down, getting up, knee walking, rolling her head. I went in to check her at 12:30, about, and her cervex was soft, but not open more than a fingers width. Well...apparently my prodding around made that cervex decide to open up.

About 1:00, I glanced at the tv. As soon as I looked...she squatted and her water broke, leaving a big string of gloob. Ok, here we go!

The kid presented with a head, no legs. It took her a good 30 mins to get that head out, with me doing peri stretching. Once the head was out, I found the kid to be in the jumping position - like a horse - legs forward and folded back. It wasn't any trouble to get one leg out, then I had enough to deliver him with. One pull and he was born!

He looks a LOT like his daddy, Hank, whom we've since sold. Solid black with some white in his ears, three little white spots and a star. The icing, for me...he has Hank's white goatee stripe! Precious. Hank was a "dwarf-dwarf" standing 13" tall and he had teeny tiny ears - well, so does this little buckling. He's adorable! Good job, Jo!

Now I've got to come up with an Easter name. I was banking on Peter Cottontail...but this guy's tail is BLACK. Ideas? LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, look at him!! He is lovely! And the blue eyes...
    Names...Pascal is French for Easter, or "in the time of Easter"

3. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    He is a great looking little guy! Name him Jelly bean and call him bean for short!
    [​IMG]

Chris

Edit: Yep I am one the wierd people that like the black ones!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Maybe Ostern (German for Easter)?

I like the black ones, too, LOL...

5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    congrats!! Don't ya love those little wobbly leggs!!!!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Oh, how precious is that!! What a sweet little baby! [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Awww... [​IMG]

Congratulations! [​IMG]

8. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Kate, OMG, that sounds EXACTLY like my 4-year old daughter, who acts like that every day of her life, and who is the epitome of a drama queen. And guess what her name is: JOSEPHINE!!!
    Congratulations, that's a beautiful little buck! And being German, I love the name "Ostern", too!

9. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] Guess a name can say a lot!

Jo and Os are doing great! This little man is keeute! Really compact, big head, little ears - I think he might have inherited dad's dwarfism. He is so sweet, too, just like his dad!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Congrats! He is adorable, Kate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by