JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

Pics

Namentuppen

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
Okay, the adventure hasn't really started off yet. Right now it's more in the gathering supplies stage. This wasn't supposed to happen so soon, but my dad committed suicide a little over a week ago and I need some projects to work on. This one has been in the works for a while, so I'm happy to see it come to fruition.

My goal is to produce healthy, well-tempered meat rabbits with some nice coloration. Most will be used for that purpose, but some of the best babies I'll keep for future stock or sell. I plan to tan hides for personal use. I know young rabbit hides aren't the sturdiest, but some mittens would be nice.
I just contacted two breeders. We'll see if either works out.

So far I've ordered:
Supplies to make the cages
Food dishes

Will be going to TSC tomorrow for:
Rabbit food
Rabbit waterers
Hay

I should be able to finish the cages on Saturday. Goal is to get bunnies around mid-May after my finals.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your dad :hugs

Meat rabbits isn't a project I could do, though I eat wild rabbit happily. They are too cute and fluffy for me to raise and butcher them. I'm a softie.

Best of luck with it. I understand the need to immerse yourself in something.

Take care of yourself too.

I am so very sorry about your father. My dad did the same but he was very ill. Have you joined the American Rabbit Breeders Assn yet? If not, do so.

You are wise to get yourself something to keep you busy. It helps. I wish you the best on your venture.

Okay, the adventure hasn't really started off yet. Right now it's more in the gathering supplies stage. This wasn't supposed to happen so soon, but my dad committed suicide a little over a week ago and I need some projects to work on. This one has been in the works for a while, so I'm happy to see it come to fruition.

My goal is to produce healthy, well-tempered meat rabbits with some nice coloration. Most will be used for that purpose, but some of the best babies I'll keep for future stock or sell. I plan to tan hides for personal use. I know young rabbit hides aren't the sturdiest, but some mittens would be nice.

So far I've ordered:
Food dishes

Rabbit food
Rabbit waterers
Hay

I should be able to finish the cages on Saturday. Goal is to get bunnies around mid-May after my finals.
Most protect my rabbit Bubbles at full cost keep away from @JoyThatSticks :oops:

Condolences about your father.

I raised meat rabbits for many years. Not to drive traffic away from BYC, but Rabbit Talk is a good place for info on rabbits. It's like BYC, and is a great resource.

What breeds are you thinking of?
If you have questions, just let me know. I will be happy to help. I miss doing it, and plan on starting up again next year. Too many other projects this year.

Good luck in this venture.
Thank you!

So sorry to hear about your dad :hugs

Meat rabbits isn't a project I could do, though I eat wild rabbit happily. They are too cute and fluffy for me to raise and butcher them. I'm a softie.

Best of luck with it. I understand the need to immerse yourself in something.

Take care of yourself too.
I didn't think I could do chickens at first. Honestly rabbits look easier on that side of things. After Food Animal Clinical Management in college I determined I wanted to know where my meat came from/how it was treated if possible. Poultry especially sadly don't have many regulations in regard to humane treatment in factory farms and the verbiage on meat/egg packaging can be very misleading.

I am so very sorry about your father. My dad did the same but he was very ill. Have you joined the American Rabbit Breeders Assn yet? If not, do so.

You are wise to get yourself something to keep you busy. It helps. I wish you the best on your venture.
I haven't yet! I'll look into that. My dad showed no obvious signs, which is why it was such a shock. I went to take his pulse and discovered it was suicide. Thought it was a heart attack at first. I miss him.

Most protect my rabbit Bubbles at full cost keep away from @JoyThatSticks :oops:
Hah, don't worry, Bubbles is safe! Anything with a name is usually off the dinner menu unless it turns aggressive. :p

Condolences about your father.

I raised meat rabbits for many years. Not to drive traffic away from BYC, but Rabbit Talk is a good place for info on rabbits. It's like BYC, and is a great resource.

What breeds are you thinking of?
If you have questions, just let me know. I will be happy to help. I miss doing it, and plan on starting up again next year. Too many other projects this year.
Thank you for your condolences. I'll check that forum out! I'm looking into Standard Rexes mainly, or pretty meat mutts. Maybe a Californian, but I like color. Not for show or anything.
I like Flemish giants but the meat to bone ratio is supposedly bad and the housing needed would be a lot. They are very cool though. Saw one get spayed a while back; it was the size of a house-cat.

So far I've ordered:
Food dishes

Rabbit food
Rabbit waterers
Hay

Make sure your rabbit has letter box to poop and pea in.

Back
Top Bottom