JTS' Meat Rabbit Adventures

I named the babies!

'Purple' baby will either be Taffy or Charlie

'Orange' baby will be Spitfire (that baby is crazy, haha)

'Green' baby will either be Buttercup or Clover

'Pink' baby will either be Tulip or Sorrel

'Blue' baby will either be Sky or Storm

'Brown' baby will either be Kiwi or Aspen

I named the babies!

'Purple' baby will either be Taffy or Charlie

'Orange' baby will be Spitfire (that baby is crazy, haha)

'Green' baby will either be Buttercup or Clover

'Pink' baby will either be Tulip or Sorrel

'Blue' baby will either be Sky or Storm

'Brown' baby will either be Kiwi or Aspen
Are you marking them with colors?

Yes, mainly so I can monitor that everyone is gaining weight/developing properly and know if one isn't which it is.
Huh. That's an interesting idea. I know people do it with puppies, but I never thought of trying it with rabbits.

When my family raised meat rabbits, it was common for folks to say "don't touch the bunnies or the mother will reject them." We thought that was a bit extreme, so we counted them and checked for dead ones on occasion (none of our does ever rejected her bunnies), but we mostly left them alone until they had fur and started to open their eyes. But the idea of weighing them regularly didn't occur to us. (Occasionally it would be obvious that one was not getting enough to eat-- thin and bony is easy to recognize. We'd hold the doe and let the bunny have an extra meal or two, and sometimes that helped.)

As a practical matter, if you want to select breeding stock for meat rabbits, you can just weigh them once at slaughter age. That lets you select for the ones that did well with no special care, which is usually what people want for meat rabbits.

Huh. That's an interesting idea. I know people do it with puppies, but I never thought of trying it with rabbits.

When my family raised meat rabbits, it was common for folks to say "don't touch the bunnies or the mother will reject them." We thought that was a bit extreme, so we counted them and checked for dead ones on occasion (none of our does ever rejected her bunnies), but we mostly left them alone until they had fur and started to open their eyes. But the idea of weighing them regularly didn't occur to us. (Occasionally it would be obvious that one was not getting enough to eat-- thin and bony is easy to recognize. We'd hold the doe and let the bunny have an extra meal or two, and sometimes that helped.)

As a practical matter, if you want to select breeding stock for meat rabbits, you can just weigh them once at slaughter age. That lets you select for the ones that did well with no special care, which is usually what people want for meat rabbits.
I'm sure once I've got a few litters under my belt I probably won't do that unless it's a 'special' litter. I'm just overly excited about the first litter of babies, haha. Also have a younger sibling really excited about it all so I'm trying to ensure all the babies in this litter do alright. Kona luckily doesn't seem to mind in the slightest if anyone touches the babies. I'll usually feed her at the same time I mess with them and she doesn't care.

I'm sure once I've got a few litters under my belt I probably won't do that unless it's a 'special' litter. I'm just overly excited about the first litter of babies, haha. Also have a younger sibling really excited about it all so I'm trying to ensure all the babies in this litter do alright. Kona luckily doesn't seem to mind in the slightest if anyone touches the babies. I'll usually feed her at the same time I mess with them and she doesn't care.
I had one doe that was down right, wear welding gloves when reaching into to feed her, evil kujo when she had kits. She eventually joined a litter in Camp Kenmore. Only reason I kept her as long as I did is because she never lost a single kit. 8 kits every time, no runts, and good size. My other does were pretty chill about me handling their litters.

20210623_193108.jpg
20210623_191501.jpg

Spitfire and Namentuppen.

Back
Top Bottom