Jubilee Orpington cross

kwarren6271

Chirping
Jan 18, 2022
Okay so there are a lot of breeders using Mottled Orpingtons crossed with Jubilee to improve their Jubilee. Well, it makes the offspring black carrying a mottled gene. They have to breed several times to get that beautiful mahogany color back. I have read that Jubilees each carry two copies of the Mottled gene, that's what gives them that beautiful pattern. What would happen if I put a Red Orpington rooster over Jubilee hens? I mean would each offspring get one copy of the Mottled? And if that true, then couldn't I just put a Red cockerel carrying the mottled gene back to the hens to eliminate all the breeding that's needed to get rid of the black if I did it the other way? TIA

Okay so there are a lot of breeders using Mottled Orpingtons crossed with Jubilee to improve their Jubilee. Well, it makes the offspring black carrying a mottled gene. They have to breed several times to get that beautiful mahogany color back. I have read that Jubilees each carry two copies of the Mottled gene, that's what gives them that beautiful pattern. What would happen if I put a Red Orpington rooster over Jubilee hens? I mean would each offspring get one copy of the Mottled? And if that true, then couldn't I just put a Red cockerel carrying the mottled gene back to the hens to eliminate all the breeding that's needed to get rid of the black if I did it the other way? TIA
That sounds like a fine breeding plan to me

The rooster is solid red and the buff is solid also, same results just the Buff would cause some leakage. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom