1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jubilee Orpington Rooster over...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hoodiyep, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Hoodiyep

Hoodiyep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Canton, GA
    So I just got myself a breeding pair of Greenfire / Sacre Jubilee Orpingtons. I am going to make the Jubilee my main Rooster and I was wondering what I would get with him over my current flock. I am going to breed for the Jubilee's, but I thought it might be fun to see what I get with the other hens as well. I figure I would ask the chicken super geniuses here.

Jubilee Orpington Rooster over:

Barred Rock
    Rhode Island Red
    Blue Cochin
    Golden Comet
    Black Sexlink
    Standard Orpington
    White Leghorn
    Ideal Poultry Black Broiler (just for fun) :)
    Any other interesting/neat combo I could get with a different breed of hen?

If anyone has any pictures of the above or any other combo please feel free to post them. Thanks for your time, I am excited to see your responses. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My understanding is that a Jubilee Orpington has the same basic color genetics as the Speckled Sussex. The Speckling (or mottling) is a recessive gene so you will not see it in the first generation. Both parents have to have the mottling gene for it to be seen in the offspring, though sometimes you can see it in juvenile feathering. So if you use that rooster over these hens, you should get:

Barred Rock – Black Sex Link chicks. The males will have a spot on the head and grow up to be barred. The females will not have the spot and will grow up to be black.

Rhode Island Red – Red chicks and red chickens.

Blue Cochin – I think these are based on extended black. In that case you will get about half of them blue and about half of them black.

Golden Comet – Red chicks and red chickens

Black Sexlink – There are a lot of different breeds you could use to make black sex links or you could have the commercial egg laying black sex link hybrids. You can’t be sure where you are starting genetically. You might get all black chicks. You might get half red and half black. You might get half black and a mix on the rest.

Standard Orpington – There are many different Orpington colors. I assume you mean Buff Orpington. If so, you will get chicks that are lighter in red than the Jubilee but darker than the Buff, but they should be all red.

White Leghorn – Not sure of the genetics on your white leghorns. There are two different ways genetically to make them solid white, recessive white genes or dominant white genes. You can’t be sure what is hiding under that white in either case. You might get all white chicks. You might get all black chicks. You might get chickens that have some white but some other colors. You might get chicks with no white at all. Some may even be barred. Odds are you will get all white but the possibilities are many.

Ideal Poultry Black Broiler (just for fun) :) – I don’t know the genetics of their broilers but I’d guess they will color out a lot like the black sex links. I could be wrong. They may all be black.

On many of these instead of a solid color you may get black markings, like where I say “red chicken” that chicken could easily have a black tail or other black markings, maybe on the neck or on the wings. Also since they are crosses, many could have leakage. That’s where you get random feathers showing through a different color. Maybe a solid black chicken will have a few red or gold feathers showing up. Or a solid white chicken will have some red feathers showing up. That’s pretty common with crosses. Here is leakage I got with a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Black Australorp hen. I’d expect most of your “black” ones to have something like this, especially the males.

[​IMG]

3. Hoodiyep

Hoodiyep Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Canton, GA
    Awesome! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by