Jujubes and duckies

Enigmius

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
Does anyone know if ducks can eat jujube fruit?

I'm planning on planting two jujube trees in the duckyard, for shade for the ducks and fruit for me. But These trees will most certainly drop fruit. I aim to do my best to remove the fallen fruit, but I'm sure I won't be able to get them all right as they fall. So will a duck be ok if they peck at the fruit? Anyone on here growing these trees that also have ducks?

Hey there good to see you. I couldn't find anything duck-specific about eating this fruit but here is info on chickens eating it which is good info
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/should-chickens-eat-jujubes.1399722/
Thanks for the link.
Turns out there is a large spiky pit in the fruit, so I decided not to plant that jujube tree in the pen. The fruit flesh is ok though, so I can feed them fruit that has the pit removed.

I've just been busy the last two years, for obvious reasons. I work in the medical field, and it has been a disaster.

I lost one duck last year, still don't know why. Unfortunately I think the death was my fault. The duck looked sick and was being ostracized by the flock, and she was barking a lot. So I took her into the upstairs guest bathroom where it was warmer(this took place in late fall). She kept barking, so I thought perhaps she might be egg bound. So I filled the claw tub with warm water just to coat the bottom of the tub. I wentt away for 3 minutes to get some food for her from the back porch, and when I came back she was dead. I was stumped at the time, but now I think she drowned. I don't know how really except that it was just a tad deeper by the drain due to the slope of the tub. Its just SO weird, she wasn't acting like she couldn't hold her head up or anything. So it didn't seem like it was botulism. I really have no idea. Either way she was dead. So five duckies left, four girls and my groovy boy.

I want to add a couple Jersey Giant chickens, but I don't think if it is possible due to the drake having such an insatiable appetite for the ladies lol

I can imagine how awful it has been for anyone working in the medical field.
Hope things are getting to be more normal now.
It's hard to know why we lose them. It's so easy for them to hide their sickness until too late a lot of the time.
I'm very sorry you lost her.

Back
Top Bottom