Juliets first egg!!!

Autumn D

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
so about a month ago i got a pair of quail and named them romeo and juliet,

(soooo cute!)

anyway the past two weeks romeo has begun to crow and in the past week he has begun courting juliet, so i knew juliet was going to start laying eggs soon. i was cleaning out their cage today and when i picked up juliet she bafted. i thought it may e just becuse shes stressed so i gently peted her for a while, then it happened juliet layed an "egg"

well it's not much of an egg and gross if anything, but at least she wasnt ill like a origonally suspected. at first i thought it was a wad of paper towel as i caught her swallowing some earlier, but when i got a closer look i saw it really was a egg.

is this normal for quail, im not really sure as this is my first time having any.
thanks!

Make sure to always offer up ground oyster shell for the layers. That egg appears to be lacking a shell. Stress can also cause hens to lay squishy eggs and young layers, before they have their egg laying machines in gear, will sometimes lay squishy eggs.

Crushed Oyster shell is very high in calcium, which is what the outside of an egg shell is made of and hens need it very badly. Calcium not only puts the shell on, but it causes the contractions to expell the egg from the oviduct. Without it, hens can become egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom