***JULY HATCH-A-LONG come join in***

I started with two broodies, 16 eggs a piece. I got a bit sick, so I never candled. Wednesday afternoon, had 4, by Thursday afternoon, had 15 hatch!
ya.gif
The rest I listened carefully too, and heard nothing so disposed of them.

I don't have a lot of pens or can easily separate things, and I did not want the whole reintegration with the flock issues, so being brave or crazy, I left the broodies in the coop, in the nest of their choice. They never left it for long, in fact, I only caught one off the nest the whole time.
yippiechickie.gif

Wednesday night, I locked the layer hens and the rooster in the run, but out of the coop, as the Hens were still sitting on the eggs, and the early hatchers were running around, and I did not want another hen to thump on them.

thursday morning early, I let the layers and rooster out to free range. The mama's had the chicks out in the run in the shade by afternoon, and when a thunderstorm blew up, got them back in the coop, then back out, then back in for the night. After they were all tucked in, I let the layers back in the run, and they roosted in the coop that night.

I am leaving the gate to the run open so everyone has enough space, but the Momma's are quite protective (they are sharing their duties, like good sisters, I gave them eggs at the same time, so they hatched together) and the other hens are not bothering the babies at all!

Thanks for being with me on the exciting adventure, it is more fun when you have someone to share with ....that understands.
wink.png
Mrs.K I have pictures, but will have to look for directions on how to post.

There are four brown striped ones, 5 black ones, 4 with a spot on the head (those are males?) 2 yellow ones with brown spots, and one pale yellow one with tiny white spots, I think that might be a leghorn? Mrs.K

We have two pips! One of my Welsummer x EE eggs and one EE egg. No matter how many times I do this, hatching day(s) is so flipping exciting!

Anyone else waiting for chicks to ninja out of their eggs?!

As Cat likes to say: Go, Chickies, go!
yippiechickie.gif
And I'm dearly sorry to hear your ninth one didn't make it, Jett.

I just packed up 5 of the ducklings I hatched in July and sent them to their new home. Farewell, Spot, Stupid, Light Twin, Dark Twin, and Darkwing! Please don't let her kill you
fl.gif

I also packed up 28, one of the polish chickies I hatched in June, to send to the same home.

Now I can kick back, relax, and read everyone's posts to the peachick on my shoulder while I wait for August
big_smile.png

Thanks Kendreeva... It's been a bummer ending to my hatch. I was pretty positive the last egg died mid-hatch so I pulled it out wrapped in a warm wet washcloth and sure enough, no movement whatsoever. I'm bummed but I'm actually taking it much better than I expected. I knew these things might happen and despite the loss I feel lucky to have 8 adorable fuzz faces in the brooder!

I'm also feeling super jealous that you've got a peachick on your shoulder... I want to hatch some SO bad, they are just darling!!!

After today, the last day of August hatches, we can all most to the August Hatch-Along here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=371599

And
if you haven't got eggs to hatch.... well, join us anyway because there's BOUND to be some adorable pictures incoming!

@ Jett: Dooooo eeeeeet! The peachicks are by FAR my favorite thing I have hatched out of an egg yet. She is SO friendly and SO cute and SO talkative. Very attached to me, to the point of flying from people to me if they're holding her and I come into the room. And who doesn't love something they can spoil absolutely rotten and cuddle with at night!

I'm glad to have shared the ups and downs of all the July hatches. We've had some terrific times and some sad times, but it's nice to know that BYC is here for me and for us all. I'm glad I discovered you!
hugs.gif
56682_happy_932nodding.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom