July Hatch-a-Long

I just set two batches of eggs yesterday so I would love to join. Hatch alongs are always fun! I have a broody hen with 10 eggs, 2 or 3 of each - speckled Sussex, lav orps, dark Brahma, and 3 mixes from my free range. The Sussex, brahmas, and orpingtons are shipped eggs. Then in my homemade incubater (old faithful) are 8 salmon faverolles from my own faverolles flock. I think that's how I split them...I could be off. My hen couldn't cover 18 eggs and I couldn't bare to not hatch them all...so I quickly reassembled the incubator. It was running perfectly last hatch (2 years ago) and when I plugged it in it was exactly on temp and steady within 8 hours. Yay! My plan is to remove any eggs that aren't developing on day 7, assuming some shipped eggs won't be viable, and then move the incubator eggs under the hen. Although she's a first time broody...makes me nervous. I wish my usual broody hen would take over but she's not interested this year. I will only be home days 14-20 for about an hour each day so it would be ideal if a hen would take over the incubator eggs by then.

I just set two batches of eggs yesterday so I would love to join. Hatch alongs are always fun! I have a broody hen with 10 eggs, 2 or 3 of each - speckled Sussex, lav orps, dark Brahma, and 3 mixes from my free range. The Sussex, brahmas, and orpingtons are shipped eggs. Then in my homemade incubater (old faithful) are 8 salmon faverolles from my own faverolles flock. I think that's how I split them...I could be off. My hen couldn't cover 18 eggs and I couldn't bare to not hatch them all...so I quickly reassembled the incubator. It was running perfectly last hatch (2 years ago) and when I plugged it in it was exactly on temp and steady within 8 hours. Yay! My plan is to remove any eggs that aren't developing on day 7, assuming some shipped eggs won't be viable, and then move the incubator eggs under the hen. Although she's a first time broody...makes me nervous. I wish my usual broody hen would take over but she's not interested this year. I will only be home days 14-20 for about an hour each day so it would be ideal if a hen would take over the incubator eggs by then.

Good luck with your hatching! We maybe hatching right about the same time.

C545C3BA-20F8-495F-9B83-5E6B75557FF9.jpeg
I set 10 eggs on Monday. Just candled and 7 are growing. Two are too dark to see into well and one has a broken yolk. These were shipped eggs of varying blue and dark brown laying breeds including 3 mystery eggs.

This one however is so much more developed than the others! It’s amazing for day 4. It’s a blue mystery egg. I feel like it must have been warm enough on the mail truck for it to start developing, or it sat under a hen for a day, and it is going to be an early hatch! Est hatch day is July 16.
623AD217-6933-423E-9B6B-85C8017BAB4A.jpeg

I lost 11 hens two weeks ago to a weasel and the only way I could deal was by setting more babies ❤️

View attachment 1449643
I set 10 eggs on Monday. Just candled and 7 are growing. Two are too dark to see into well and one has a broken yolk. These were shipped eggs of varying blue and dark brown laying breeds including 3 mystery eggs.

This one however is so much more developed than the others! It’s amazing for day 4. It’s a blue mystery egg. I feel like it must have been warm enough on the mail truck for it to start developing, or it sat under a hen for a day, and it is going to be an early hatch! Est hatch day is July 16.
View attachment 1449644

I lost 11 hens two weeks ago to a weasel and the only way I could deal was by setting more babies ❤️

Good luck with your hatch!

I just set 7 chicken eggs for a friend of mine. We think she has a mis-sexed bird because I have cracked open a few of her eggs and found fertile dots. So this is an eggperiment, and I should know in 5-7 days what is going on with them.

If it turns out they are hatchable they will be hatching right about the same time as my ducks.

I just set 7 chicken eggs for a friend of mine. We think she has a mis-sexed bird because I have cracked open a few of her eggs and found fertile dots. So this is an eggperiment, and I should know in 5-7 days what is going on with them.

If it turns out they are hatchable they will be hatching right about the same time as my ducks.
Lol, I had a friend with a mis-sexed rooster. Couldn't figure out why the rooster wouldn't get off the nest. Turned out "he" was a broody hen:)

Lol, I had a friend with a mis-sexed rooster. Couldn't figure out why the rooster wouldn't get off the nest. Turned out "he" was a broody hen:)
Lol this one likes to challenge my friend. Though he hasn’t crowed yet so there is some doubt. Which is why the test. I may have some babies for my friend in a few weeks. I am more a duck person than chicken so I will hatch them and take them to her farm if it turns out right.

Back
Top Bottom