July Hatch-a-long

I took over the hubbies LED Mag lite flashlight. I wrapped dark tape around the end, slowly making the hole smaller till it was slightly smaller than an egg, then folded the last round of tape inside so it doesn't stick to my eggs. It is really bright and my eggs fit right over the hole without letting any light out around it. Great for candling!

I found an awesome solar powered with lithium battery backup flashlight at walmart that allows me to see veini.g in my dark eggs... nowhere near as dark as marans, but still hard with a regular fliashlight.

Last edited:
I have read that the coating on Marans eggs is very thick (why they are so dark) and makes it more difficult for the chick inside. Less air, less evaporation something like that. And some people sand some of it off. I have also read sanding an egg can push bacteria into the eggs so no closer to a solution but it made sense. I think some people scratch the surface, maybe that would push in as much bacteria but I'd probably break it if I tried.

[COLOR=008080]Please don't blame the breed.I have had wonderful hatches with Marans.................[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080]Also my largest percentage of broody hens.....................[/COLOR]
Oh I have just heard some say it takes longer for Marans or they have more trouble. Im not ready to give up by any means, just a little discouraged right now. I just need to find another supplier of eggs or wait till these start laying next spring and hatch with my own eggs. That was the only thing I changed this month. Now Im regretting selling all my 5 week old EE's from last month. Oh well, just another reason to to start another batch.

I have read that the coating on Marans eggs is very thick (why they are so dark) and makes it more difficult for the chick inside. Less air, less evaporation something like that. And some people sand some of it off. I have also read sanding an egg can push bacteria into the eggs so no closer to a solution but it made sense. I think some people scratch the surface, maybe that would push in as much bacteria but I'd probably break it if I tried.
when i was very inexpirenced it was day 25 for my mother maran and her maran babys i was very inexpirenced i rea to break a hole in it to see what going on in there i was extremly close to the egg and my eyes were open i got the knife poked a hole in it it exploded in my face ugh the smell was unbeleaavable i nearly got six like 8 timesmy eyes my mouth everything ugggghh
sickbyc.gif

I know July hatch has ended but thought I'd post a pic of my growing chicks before heading off to August
so cute!
Good luck in the August thread, it's so hard keeping up people are posting like crazy. if you have a question expect to post numerous times before getting an answer
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom