July Hatch-A-Long

Well I ended up loosing all my eggs...
sad.png

So sorry!

Put the eggs into lockdown yesterday and of course temp dropped outside, and I'm only sitting at 99.2 in my still air, argh, removing the carton lowered the eggs just enough to cause this frustration

I candled my 23 eggs Wednesday night (day 7) and I had 4 clear and 8 quitters. So now I'm down to 11 in the bator. I'll be happy to get half that to hatch. These are eggs that were shipped from North Carolina to East Texas. This is my first experience with shipped eggs, so we'll see.... :fl. On a side note, of my 8 ancona duck eggs that came with them, I've only had one quitter. :fl

Put the eggs into lockdown yesterday and of course temp dropped outside, and I'm only sitting at 99.2 in my still air, argh, removing the carton lowered the eggs just enough to cause this frustration

I decided to leave my eggs in the carton this time. I cut the bottoms out to allow more air circulation and then put the eggs back in the cartons. I had a good hatch this time and the newly hatched chicks weren't able to roll the unhatched eggs around. I will definitely be doing that for future hatches. If you don't have any pips yet, you could still do this.. or it's just an idea for next time. I doubt 99.2 is going to cause too many issues this late in incubation though. After all, those chicks will do just fine at 95 degrees after they hatch and dry.. and they are ALMOST there! Good luck on your hatch!

I have plans to reload the bator after my July hatch, which is starting, came home to a spike, because the sun came out for the first time in days, uplugged the lamp for a bit and candled, found two internally pipped, (I did not need to pick these eggs up to candle, they were still in the bator)including my last silkie egg.

It was my lack of success with the 5 silkie eggs and two Australorps that did it, watching those eggs go into the fridge thinking I wasn't going to end up with any silkie chicks, I started setting them aside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom