Jumbo Coturnix Quail growth rates & egg size

AndreaGS

Songster
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
I moved our 3-week-olds out to the hutch last night, with my fiance's help.

Lifting them, I was startled to find that a few were significantly larger than the others. Do some quails grow at a different rate than others, or do you think these few will continue to be the largest quail? I was really surprised because I thought they'd all be around the same size.

I think I may have to separate a few of them later for breeding, just to see if I get hugenormous baby quails from them.

I've got some eggs from Ole Bubba on day 16 in the incubator, and I'm also curious about any correlation between egg size and end growth size. Most of these eggs were much larger than my last batch.

Since I haven't done this whole thing from start to finish yet, just wondering what everyone else's experiences have been? Do you breed for size and how well has that worked for you so far?

others will disagree but in my experience a big egg produces a chick that is much bigger at hatching than chicks hatched from normal sized eggs (I believe they grow to fill the egg), and so far the results are that those birds in question always stay ahead of the others in size.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom