1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

jumbo egg laying chicken breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by godisgood, Dec 13, 2011.

1. godisgood

godisgood Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    What breed of chicken lays mostly jumbo eggs? Also what chicken breed lays the most eggs.

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I've noticed it soooo much depends on the individual chicken. I have four Wyandottes. Two lay the biggest eggs you can even imagine, they don't even fit in the carton. The other two lay medium eggs. I think there are breeds you can count on NOT to lay jumbos... in my experience, cochins, silkies, EEs, ameraucanas, minorcas, and pretty much all the "exotic" breeds lay medium to small eggs. I've never gotten a big egg from any of them.

3. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I have a couple New Hampshire's that lay Jumbo. It's funny cuz one of the hens would be lucky to weigh in at 5 lbs.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My gold sexlink is amazing....she lays jumbo and she herself is only around 4-pounds. This is an amazing feed-conversion. Not only are her eggs jumbo (sometimes on a 'bad day' she lays extra large)--- but her eggs are nearly daily. This summer she laid 106 eggs for 106-days in a row. Took a day off, and started up again. She has also sometimes lays a 'mega' sized egg... (from the australian wikipedia -- over 2.75 oz)

Now I suspect not all gold sexlinks could duplicate this performance...but I am sold on the hybrid. Add to that she is calm and very friendly. She truly is the 'wonder chicken'. Good luck with your search.

If you go to my BYC page, then go to the 'charts-and-quotes' there is a table of the ounces/grams for eggs and their sizes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Golden comets lay the biggest eggs i have ever seen. Mine used to lay eggs as big as ducks eggs.

6. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    My white leghorns lay some really good sized eggs! If I have jumbo cartons, I can't close the lids when their eggs are in them. They also lay pretty consistently.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The OP has posted 5 times. All thread starting posts, to which he/she has never responded on any of his/her own threads. Asked a slightly different way, this question as already been asked. Here are the topics.

jumbo egg laying chicken breeds by godisgood
    What chicken breed lays the most eggs? by godisgood
    what turkey breed lays the most eggs? by godisgood
    Would a turkey protect chickens? by godisgood
    What chicken breed lays the biggest egg? by godisgood

There is a pattern of asking. How about a bit more dialog?

8. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Fred's Hens :

The OP has posted 5 times. All thread starting posts, to which he/she has never responded on any of his/her own threads. Asked a slightly different way, this question as already been asked. Here are the topics.

jumbo egg laying chicken breeds by godisgood
    What chicken breed lays the most eggs? by godisgood
    what turkey breed lays the most eggs? by godisgood
    Would a turkey protect chickens? by godisgood
    What chicken breed lays the biggest egg? by godisgood

There is a pattern of asking. How about a bit more dialog?

Interesting............... Ahhhh but were all the answers all the same to all the questions posted. ;O)​

9. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

10. sunnysideup123

sunnysideup123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Athens, GA
    Not finding this "charts and quotes" page....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by