Jumbo Pekin from Meyer?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tlammy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Is it really the broiler duck of the duck world? Has anyone had these? Im worried if they have problems like broiler chickens. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I ordered 25 last spring - real nice ducks.
    Make sure you add niacin to their drinking water for the first 4 weeks to ensure their legs get off to a good start and you will have no problems - I kept a few until they started to lay with no issues - you can't do that with broiler chickens.

3. Tlammy

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Oh, okay! Where would i get that at? TSC?

4. Grassman 52

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I get it at CVS or Rite aid - comes in capsules that I open and pour the powder into the water

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That's a good idea, the niacin.

6. Grassman 52

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I can't take credit - read it in the raising ducks book. This is important when using unmedicated chicken starter, but I use it no matter what. It is cheep and adds a little protection.

7. Tlammy

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    oh okay, is there a portion that i need to follow?

8. Grassman 52

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    Niacin - 100-150mg per gallon of water for a few weeks - I also give some "dry seafood cat food" seems to help

9. katti perry

katti perry Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    i adore the pekins. there is nothing like a pure white duck with blue eyes. they are beautiful and hilarious to watch. i have a pekin that is 3 years old now and they do not get too heavy to walk like broiler chickens do. we got ours at TSC which will have chicks in a couple of weeks ! woot woot ! excited. the pekins are wonderful to have . pretty messy as babies though. the pekins seem to be the most messy ducks that ive raised from blue swedish pekin and now calls .they grow like weeds too :) i love them !!! good luck. they are definetely worth it ! i might give mallards a try this year along with my 2 wonderful new call ducks :)

10. Tlammy

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Hi Katti! :D Thanks for the reply! I might get the Jumbos! I still may get the normal Pekins from TSC though.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by