Jumping off roosts can have it's dangers!

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I had a very sick chicken and thank god I seen WHY she was sick before I freaked out and thought she had a disease. I opened the doors to the coop two mornings ago and everyone started jumping off the roost...well Britney (my buff orp) got in the way and not one but two hens jumped on her...one on her neck area and one on her back! Poor thing was acting almost dead. I picked her up and held her neck for her (it was totally limp) and thought she broke her neck. I put her in a cage with food and water with vits and electrolytes in it. She would not eat or drink that whole day. I tried helping her but she refused. The next day she looked worse and we had decided when hubby got home he would put her down
hit.gif
I have a double ear infection the same time so my head is aching and my ears hurt and I can't hear a thing out of either ear (thank god we all know sign language! My son is deaf) but I want this baby to make it so I down some pain pills (which made me throw up all day because I don't feel like eating) and try to do my best. It had to happen when I get sick!
barnie.gif

ANYHOW,
My dad lives with us and he is usually outside all day sitting in his recliner in the garage where she is. He came up with a report every now and than. Later that day he came up and told me she was walking around a bit (neck still dragging but at least walking a bit). I went down there and offered her some water. She tried and tried to drink but didn't seem to be getting anything. I tilted her neck back a little and that helped her get something at least. Later that day she ate on her own with neck still dragging...I helped her get more water every few hours. So that night we went to bed hoping that the morning would bring good news after two nights of thinking we were going to have to cull her. This morning I went down to find her sitting normally with her head up where it should be
clap.gif
I was SO happy! She is now walking back and forth saying "let me outta here"! I'm going to keep her in there one more night to make sure everything is okay with her. WHEW, we almost had our first cull.

I'm glad to hear she came out ok.I know exactly what you are saying.My chickens and ducks come out of the coop like maniacs,they fly off of the roosts like jets coming in for a landing! One of them clipped my arm with their wing the other day, man did that hurt! But, they were ok.It's just a matter of time before one of these maniacs get hurt I'm sure.But they don't slow down no matter how slowly we open the door.Good like with your chicken,I think your right to keep her seperated till she fully recovers and good luck also with your infection I hope you feel better soon too!

She goes back with the crew tomorrow
big_smile.png
She is doing so well now...I would have thought she was sick with something else like Mereks or something if I had not seen what had happened. So happy I did! Thanks for the comment
big_smile.png

ooh!..i;m so glad shes getting better!!...my birds do that also..when i open the coop door..its like a stampede!...and they fly right at me to!..
D.gif
..i have to dodge them...my roosts are pretty high..i'll have to keep an eye out for that type of thing also...thanks for the heads up!..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom