June 2020 Hatch Raise along

I'm not thinking socially these days and just realized I am a part of the hatch and grow along. I just put 6 araucana eggs into lockdown. I am so excited I want to squee! Yeah it's a made up word but described my feelings so well. :ya
I started out with 12 shipped eggs. At 4 days I had 3 undeveloped and 1 ring of fire. So a 75% fertility rate, I'm counting the ring of fire as fertile. At 10 days I had one that had quite growing, so that put me at 7 eggs. I put one under a broody that I gave a bantam egg to so it won't be an only chick. If all goes well and all 7 hatch, I'll have a 77% hatch rate. Not to shabby for a first timer. Yeah yeah, yeah I'm counting my chickens before my eggs hatch.:jumpy
I love your description! I only have one broody hatch and one incubator hatch under my belt and squee is right!:) I have guinea keets hatching under my easter egger hen right now. :jumpy yeah!!!

IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG

I'm not thinking socially these days and just realized I am a part of the hatch and grow along. I just put 6 araucana eggs into lockdown. I am so excited I want to squee! Yeah it's a made up word but described my feelings so well. :ya
I started out with 12 shipped eggs. At 4 days I had 3 undeveloped and 1 ring of fire. So a 75% fertility rate, I'm counting the ring of fire as fertile. At 10 days I had one that had quite growing, so that put me at 7 eggs. I put one under a broody that I gave a bantam egg to so it won't be an only chick. If all goes well and all 7 hatch, I'll have a 77% hatch rate. Not to shabby for a first timer. Yeah yeah, yeah I'm counting my chickens before my eggs hatch.:jumpy
well the hatching has begun. Yesterday 2 black with white markings hatched. Sent to bed at 1:30am with 3 more slightly pipped. Checked at 4:30am no change. At 6:30 I had a blue hatch ed and almost dry. Must have hatched right after last check. 1 more nice big pip and one of the small, just cracked, pips has a large hold and can see chicks moving. Still have one, lucky number 7, that has not pipped.
To quote my dh favorite movie
"All is right with the 🌎. " I have read through Sally Sunshine's article about when to intervene probably 4 times in the last 12 hrs. :bowThank you Sally. Encouraging WAIT is the best advice to give a nuby. I may or may not get the 77% I counted before my eggs hatched but I am very happy :celebrate

Me too! I have 18 more guinea eggs that I hope will hatch under a hen on Friday:)
I'm just trying to decide if I should switch them to my brinsea so I can watch. 5 araucana chicks are crowded waiting for #6 & 7 in the brinsea. I have 9 Orpington to lockdown for Friday and that will be tight. My other bator is a Jonel 12 egg and has a lot more room but I won't be able to see them very well. Will make waiting harder. Orpington are bigger than araucana so I'm not sure if crowding them would be best.

I'm just trying to decide if I should switch them to my brinsea so I can watch. 5 araucana chicks are crowded waiting for #6 & 7 in the brinsea. I have 9 Orpington to lockdown for Friday and that will be tight. My other bator is a Jonel 12 egg and has a lot more room but I won't be able to see them very well. Will make waiting harder. Orpington are bigger than araucana so I'm not sure if crowding them would be best.
It seems like we make a way to see one way or another. My incubators windows are small but I'm not missing anything if I can help it. :p :jumpy

It seems like we make a way to see one way or another. My incubators windows are small but I'm not missing anything if I can help it. :p :jumpy
Finally! Last one. When I took lucky number 7 to cancel it was obviously dead. Not so lucky I guess. I opened it and the head was still between its legs. They were all moving when we went into lockdown. This one had absorbed all its hook and was ready just wrong position. I'm good with 6. That is what I paid for and the seller sent 6 extra. I'll get pictures when last one is dry and in brooder with everyone else. 3 black 2 splash
Finally finished. Number 7 was dead. When I checked its head was between its legs. Yolk absorbed just gelatinous clear substance. No smell. Had movement in all eggs at lockdown but I guess 7 was unlucky this time. I'm good with 6. 3 black 2 splash 1 blue. I'll post pictures when 6 is dry and out of the incubator.:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom