June Bug/Japanese Beetle Popcorn!

Interesting, I even forgot about them this year. So far they are a no show for us. I bet they are just late here. Chickens love there larve they find in mulch.

Quote:
Actually, the two are distinctly different species. About 6 or 8 species of June bugs/May beetles are native or have been introduced to North America. June bugs/May Beetles for the most part are plain brown, whereas Japanese beetle are a strikingly handsome metallic green insect with black legs. All these beetles have larval stages that feed in the soil, but Japanese beetles are the ones that usually cause the most damage to lawns and ornamentals. The industry has developed the traps for the adult beetles and milky spore in an attempt to control the larval grubs.

This is the second time this year the brown june bugs have been out for us. Had a huge influx in March, and they've just started up again two days ago.

I've also been collecting them in a container in the evening and throwing them in the run in the morning. Quite an amusing way to start the day.
smile.png

These are what we have in Michigan!! They come out at night in swarms. As one BYC member replied, they are larvae that are in the soil and transform into these yucky things and emerge in the spring. They must be the east coast version!!
smile.png
lol
Quote:

Here in Oklahoma, we have the good ole fashion "june bug". It's a brown, (some light/some dark) flying beetle around 1/2 to 5/8 inch long that flys around in the late evening and into the night and have very "sticky" legs. They are harmless, and a great source of protien to the chickens. So much of a great source, I purposely leave flood lights on close to my chicken run, so it attracts them for the chickens to eat up the next day.
They are also your standard "grub worms" that are found in the dirt. They turn in to "june bugs".

I've seen blacker colored ones, and just this year, I've noticed perfectly round holes in my yard, and in them, are GIANT, "june bug looking" things that I guess are.....GIANT JUNE BUGS? My dog decided to start digging out where one of the holes was at, and out it came. So I had the dog dig another hole, and sure enough, another one. They immediately were picked up and thrown in to the run for the chickens to eat.

There is one problem with hanging up Japanese Beetle traps - you get all the Jap bettles coming to your property from miles away - I did that one year and couldn't keep up with emptying the bags - never did that again - the neighbors were probably thankful - they didn't have any - I had them all -

June bugs,cicadas and japanese beetles are all different insects. And chickens LOVE the larvae (grub) stage too
sickbyc.gif

The orange ladybug-like ones are asian beetles (but not japanese beetles). They arrived on shipping pallets. You can see hundreds of them in the fall, they will try to get in your house. And they bite.

Back
Top Bottom