June Hatch-A-Long! (Blue Ameraucanas for me!)

It's day 4 in my incubator. I just bought batteries for the candle light that came with my incubator. I couldn't help myself and took a few eggs out of the incubator to look at. (My first hatch). I couldn't see anything in two of them and red veins in the third one. They are small Silkie eggs. I also noticed very small air pockets. Is this normal? I have 30 eggs in there as they were shipped and I was told to expect a 50% hatch rate. Thanks for any help.

It's day 4 in my incubator. I just bought batteries for the candle light that came with my incubator. I couldn't help myself and took a few eggs out of the incubator to look at. (My first hatch). I couldn't see anything in two of them and red veins in the third one. They are small Silkie eggs. I also noticed very small air pockets. Is this normal? I have 30 eggs in there as they were shipped and I was told to expect a 50% hatch rate. Thanks for any help.

Day 4 is probably earlier than I would assume anything definite about development. Some seem to show prominent veining early and some don't. I usually try to wait until day 10 or 14 to pitch eggs. The air cell is just developing and will increase in size as the embryo develops. You can pencil a circle around it to monitor the size of it if you want to. If the eggs are shipped I would probably minimize handling because their air cells have been jostled in transit. I don't know if there's a set expectation on shipped eggs...I have had terrible (10%) and have had 90%. You need to assess hatch rate based on what you received, what was unbroken, what was fertile out of what you received, and what actually hatches. For instance, last shipment, I purchased 10, received 12. 1 was cracked, 1 was infertile & culled day 10, and tonight I culled one blood ring on day 14. So, out of 10 viable received, we'll see what hatches. Be patient and handle them with extreme care & sanitized hands! Good luck!

Day 4 is probably earlier than I would assume anything definite about development. Some seem to show prominent veining early and some don't. I usually try to wait until day 10 or 14 to pitch eggs. The air cell is just developing and will increase in size as the embryo develops. You can pencil a circle around it to monitor the size of it if you want to. If the eggs are shipped I would probably minimize handling because their air cells have been jostled in transit. I don't know if there's a set expectation on shipped eggs...I have had terrible (10%) and have had 90%. You need to assess hatch rate based on what you received, what was unbroken, what was fertile out of what you received, and what actually hatches. For instance, last shipment, I purchased 10, received 12. 1 was cracked, 1 was infertile & culled day 10, and tonight I culled one blood ring on day 14. So, out of 10 viable received, we'll see what hatches. Be patient and handle them with extreme care & sanitized hands! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the info and advice. I will keep you posted.

Day is 20 today. Last night one pipped a giant pip! No progress as of this morning still peeping. No other pips 32 eggs out of 41 made it to lock down of those only 2 were early deaths all others were clears and my cracked egg that I nail polished made it to lockdown. So I am waiting patiently (impatiently lol)to see what we get!

My 1st baby hatched!! 2 more pips and the 1st one that pipped is alive but not ready yet. In this case early bird did not catch the worm lol

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom