Jungle fowl

Oisin

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2016
Ireland
Was going to get a pair of red jungle fowl but as it's coming into winter I keep all my chickens in a barn to stay warm and was wondering can jungle fowl be kept with them or are they like pheasants and die from diease's thanks Oisin

Oisin: it depends on the jungle fowl stock you have acquired. If they have been raised in isolation, never vaccinated against common poultry diseases, etc., you may have a problem. Are all the poultry running free in the barn? What about roosters? Will your jungle fowl cock have to fight larger and dominant roosters? If they have their own pen or cage, they should be as well off as any of your other birds. I raise mine with other breeds under basically free range with roosting and nesting coops. If in covered pens or cages, I would suggest padding the ceilings of their enclosures as they tend to panic flight and go straight up. Get some tamed, confident birds that you can enjoy. They will breed better, mother better, and just generally be more enjoyable. Be aware that if you get young birds, the pullets will be more attracted to older roosters, no matter the breed. I had a lot of trouble keeping my three hens away from my Fayoumi rooster.

Back
Top Bottom