Jury correct! It's a...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreenGoddess, Aug 6, 2009.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    BOY!!!!!!! [​IMG] Yep, I heard him crow this morning for the first time... Well, if that's what you call it... LOL.. Sounded like he was depressed... Crowed 3 times and then I got my phone to record it and of course, he didn't want to talk anymore... (sigh).... So, the jury was correct... Now i know we have 2 roos and 3 hens because Turkey is looking the way Clucky did a little over a month ago... Need more hens... LOL

[​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

(sorry, posted this in two sections.. Just excited and wanted everyone to know.. lol)

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    I´m glad your happy

3. 88heather

88heather Songster

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    We ordered 6 pullets.. I have one Buff Rock crowing like a champ and saw another crow this morning and another the other day.. Oh noes.. I was supposed to have 6 hens.. now I think I have 3 roos and 3 hens![​IMG]

Also my 3 i think are roos ALL have bigger combs and waddles than the other 3 chickens.. Is that a major sign of a roo?? Are your 2 roos both have bigger combs and waddles?? I"m new to this.[​IMG]

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Most definately.. If they are the same age or even worse, the ones with the big bright waddles and combs are younger than the ones with the pale and small combs and waddles, they are most likely roos.. Of course, that being said, that's if they are all the same type of chicken... Each breed grows differently and different rates.. so, what may be a larger comb and waddles for one pullet may not be so for another breed and the other breed may be a roo... Does that make sense?

These are pics of my reds at 9 weeks of age.. First one is Turkey (roo) and the other is one of the pullets.. You can definitely see a difference...

Turkey
    [​IMG]

Closeup of Turkey
    [​IMG]

Pullet
    [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: