Just a couple.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by navasima, Dec 14, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hey There Duck Folk! I'd like to have just a couple of ducks for eggs. So...question time!!

2 females okay to kep each other company?

I'd like a calmer breed - or will temprament be more influenced by handling?
    There will certainly be a 3 year old "helping " me with "her" ducks. [​IMG]

Bantam ducks - smaller eggs are fine by me if it is a prolific layer. [​IMG] Size would even be better as we are definitely in a suburban setting.

Any breeds out there that are: layed back, do well in a backyard setting, lay well.....
    Ya - not asking for much...... [​IMG]

TIA for any suggestions/advice!!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Two females would probably work well. I'd want three, so that if one died, the other would not be as traumatized by being alone until I could find another duck and introduce them.

I have runners - very sweet, very social, I raised them to be that way (and was blessed for them to respond), and they are high energy.

Just adopted two female Buff Orpingtons. Lovely ducks, a little larger than runners and with a similar reputation for being good layers. Besides that, I am told the Buffs are good broodies (should you ever wish to expand your duckie holdings [​IMG] )

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks for your responses! A bit more reading (and lurking!) and it looks like ducks come Spring!! [​IMG]

5. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Don't worry, if you lurk on here long enough you will definitely end up with more than "a couple" ducks thanks to the enablers on this forum and ducky math!! [​IMG] I too was just a lurker last year at this time... Then I was going to just get 3-4 runners, ended up with 6... now I'm placing an order for next year for more runners and I'm lurking on the goose thread.. thinking about getting a pair of Sebastopols in the spring.... [​IMG]
    I vote for Runner ducks. I love my runners! Got them as day olds from Holderreads. I raised them inside (living room), so they were handled on a regular basis. They don't crawl onto my lap like they used to as ducklings, but they still run up to me when I walk outside and follow me around. Once I pick them up, they settle down and will tolerate being held. They are excellent foragers and they are laying almost an egg/day. And most of all, they are funny as heck to watch!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by