Just a few newbie questions!

NewFLChick

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2018
Finally got chicks yesterday after years of waiting! Pic of our 4 girls and our 10 month old kitten investigating the new arrivals :pop

Couple questions...

I have seen ultra kibble mentioned and quickly grabbed a bag while at TSC and didn’t realize I needed starter feed as well.. is it ok if I wait one more day to get some? Medicated or non medicated? Can I put a piece of cucumber or carrot in there?

I forgot to ask them if the chicks were vaccinated. I did ask how old they were and she just said a couple weeks old.. wondering if that looks correct.. I know it’s probably hard to tell. 2 gold comets (one still has missing feathers on her chest) and 2 Plymouth rocks.. one looks significantly bigger than the others.

We live in Florida and going through a “cold” snap (high of 73) Their coop isn’t 100% finished but is it ok to let them go outside and explore a little?

TSC was out of all of their heat lamps so I went to Home Depot and got a 125watt heat bulb and they seem quite content. Just want to make sure with some experts that I’m doing everything correctly now that we’ve finally jumped in! Thanks! :celebrate

Attachments

• EACB614E-BD71-4A7D-AD84-431F42462BBB.jpeg
    EACB614E-BD71-4A7D-AD84-431F42462BBB.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 7DC5E844-859A-47E5-9771-DA4171656765.jpeg
    7DC5E844-859A-47E5-9771-DA4171656765.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 8
OKAY. DO NOT let them outside please! Chickens can't go outside until fully feathered (about 4 or 5 weeks) And you definately need to go get that feed (non medicated) because at this age they ALWAYS need to have it handy! NO WAITING TIL TOMORROW PLEASE! As soon as you have starter feed, take away that kibble! Thats just a rumor, people give it to molting hen for extra protien but not to tiny little chickens!They can barely fit in they're beaks!

Welcome! Heat lamps or lights with Teflon coating will kill your birds! make sure you don't have one of those. Then, The heat lamp should be red, not white light. It should be warm at one end of the brooder, and room temperature at the other end, NOT hot everywhere! Have a hardware cloth lid, not a solid lid. Your cat will be happy to demolish the chicks, so separation is most important, until they are much larger/ grown up.
These chicks won't have Marek's vaccinations because the feed store didn't pay extra for it.
Get chick feed today, and make sure that the mill date on the bag is within four weeks or so. Get a smaller bag, not 50 lbs, because it should be fed within six to eight weeks of that mill date!
Chick started, medicated chick starter, or an all-flock feed like Flock Raiser (what I feed) will all be good. It needs to be fresh!!!
Don't get a layer feed!!!
Chicks are fun! Remember about washing hands after handling them!
Mary

Finally got chicks yesterday after years of waiting! Pic of our 4 girls and our 10 month old kitten investigating the new arrivals :pop

Couple questions...

I have seen ultra kibble mentioned and quickly grabbed a bag while at TSC and didn’t realize I needed starter feed as well.. is it ok if I wait one more day to get some? Medicated or non medicated? Can I put a piece of cucumber or carrot in there?

I forgot to ask them if the chicks were vaccinated. I did ask how old they were and she just said a couple weeks old.. wondering if that looks correct.. I know it’s probably hard to tell. 2 gold comets (one still has missing feathers on her chest) and 2 Plymouth rocks.. one looks significantly bigger than the others.

We live in Florida and going through a “cold” snap (high of 73) Their coop isn’t 100% finished but is it ok to let them go outside and explore a little?

TSC was out of all of their heat lamps so I went to Home Depot and got a 125watt heat bulb and they seem quite content. Just want to make sure with some experts that I’m doing everything correctly now that we’ve finally jumped in! Thanks! :celebrate

Congrats on your new chicks!

To me they look around a week old.

I would get the Chick Starter, preferably today!
The Ultra Kibble, from what I quickly gathered from google is a "treat". You could try soaking it to help soften it, but the chicks need a source of chick grit (crushed granite).

Your heat source should be fine - if your chicks seem content and are not distress peeping, they have enough heat. Going by temperature is o.k., but behavior is a better indicator as to the comfort of your chicks.

As for going outside...that is totally up to you. They will need warming, so you may want to wait until you have a nice sunny day. Chicks use their heat source for quick warming then venture around.

Since this is your first batch, consider getting that coop and run finished as quickly as possible, you can finish brooding them outside with either a heating pad or heat lamp. I prefer the Mama Heating Pad method and brood outside, it works well even in cold temperatures (chicks need protection from wind/elements if brooding outdoors).

Yes, you can place a cucumber slice in the brooder for them to investigate. I usually introduce veggies/fruit the 1st week (1 small slice of something/1-2 finely chopped grapes, etc.) but again, they need grit. Don't expect them to consume much, it's just an introduction to things they will be seeing later in life.

Just my thoughts.

51voxoaAoGL._SY450_.jpg

Welcome! Heat lamps or lights with Teflon coating will kill your birds! make sure you don't have one of those. Then, The heat lamp should be red, not white light. It should be warm at one end of the brooder, and room temperature at the other end, NOT hot everywhere! Have a hardware cloth lid, not a solid lid. Your cat will be happy to demolish the chicks, so separation is most important, until they are much larger/ grown up.
These chicks won't have Marek's vaccinations because the feed store didn't pay extra for it.
Get chick feed today, and make sure that the mill date on the bag is within four weeks or so. Get a smaller bag, not 50 lbs, because it should be fed within six to eight weeks of that mill date!
Chick started, medicated chick starter, or an all-flock feed like Flock Raiser (what I feed) will all be good. It needs to be fresh!!!
Don't get a layer feed!!!
Chicks are fun! Remember about washing hands after handling them!
Mary

Yes I have hand sanitizer for my two kids because running back and forth to wash their hands isn’t ideal lol.
How would I know the bulb is Teflon coated? I have a philips heat light. It is clear, not red, but says can be used for animal habitats.

How important is the vaccine? Should I go and g t it done somewhere?

Thanks for your help and reply! I will head out and get some. :)

Congrats on your new chicks!

To me they look around a week old.

I would get the Chick Starter, preferably today!
The Ultra Kibble, from what I quickly gathered from google is a "treat". You could try soaking it to help soften it, but the chicks need a source of chick grit (crushed granite).

Your heat source should be fine - if your chicks seem content and are not distress peeping, they have enough heat. Going by temperature is o.k., but behavior is a better indicator as to the comfort of your chicks.

As for going outside...that is totally up to you. They will need warming, so you may want to wait until you have a nice sunny day. Chicks use their heat source for quick warming then venture around.

Since this is your first batch, consider getting that coop and run finished as quickly as possible, you can finish brooding them outside with either a heating pad or heat lamp. I prefer the Mama Heating Pad method and brood outside, it works well even in cold temperatures (chicks need protection from wind/elements if brooding outdoors).

Yes, you can place a cucumber slice in the brooder for them to investigate. I usually introduce veggies/fruit the 1st week (1 small slice of something/1-2 finely chopped grapes, etc.) but again, they need grit. Don't expect them to consume much, it's just an introduction to things they will be seeing later in life.

Just my thoughts.

51voxoaAoGL._SY450_.jpg
Thanks! I’ll be heading out to get some feed today. I’ll also wait a couple weeks to take them out. :)

Back
Top Bottom