Just a girl trying to raise some chickens in DFW

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Is the exhaust fan motor sealed? If not it is going to become a major fire hazard as the extreme dust from the coop will coat the motor.
Hello! Thanks for the reply. I'm unsure if it's sealed. The description shown below says "fully enclosed motor". Does this mean its sealed? Is sealing what I would need to do or do I need to ask the manufacturer?
fan:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3QSC2Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

thermostat, humidistat, solid state speed controller and timer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRG9RM5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
  • MULTIPURPOSE: Perfect cooling and ventilation solution for any space at your home - including the attic, garage, shed, and more. Corrosion-resistant, the fully enclosed motor is thermally protected and permanently lubricated for easy maintenance.

Howdy, :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate
Glad to meet you. Best wishes with your current chicken plans! Welcome to BYC. I look forward to hearing more stories and news of your birds. You might check out some articles about coops and bedding but those things vary by locale -- asking a fellow Texan might be your better bet. Here are a couple posts about:
Flex Seal 1
Flex Seal 2

Texas "air conditioning" with frozen bottles of water
Hello, Thank you for the information. Still reading...:)

Howdy, :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate
Hi 007! I see you're in Texas and living through the non stop 100 degree temps! So hot! Do you have any suggestions regarding coop flooring? I planned to use construction sand in the coop and run for ease of cleaning. Should I put down vinyl flooring over the painted floor (porch paint), coat with Flex Seal or put down a durable shower curtain under the sand? Flex Seal seems like it would make cleaning easy but I'm concerned it could keep my coop from "breathing" and become a hot box for my chickens. I would coat the floor and about 1' up the walls. If I used vinyl I wasn't planning on it being glued down so it could be pulled out and rinsed if necessary. People say mites can hide under it if not glued down. The coop has 3 windows and an exhaust fan. What is your experience?

Back
Top Bottom