Just a Late Crower?

HenOrRoo1

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
Magna, UT
We have a White Leghorn named Cupcake I'm pretty sure is a roo, but at 19 1/2 weeks old still isn't crowing or laying. At what age do White Leghorns typically crow or lay? I thought it was between 17 and 19 weeks. The first picture is Cupcake at 17 1/2 weeks. The second is at 19 1/2 weeks. What do you think? Is he a late crower? Or is she going to lay any day now?

Cupcake is definately a roo. He's probably just a late crower. Our buff Orpington didn't start crowing for a long time, too

Do you remember about how old your Buff was when he started crowing? Six months, maybe? Also, just out of curiosity, what is it about Cupcake that makes you think for certain he's a rooster? I'm just trying to build my knowledge for the future. :)

He has a very large comb and wattles, and also in leghorns, the male's comb tends to stand up while hens' flop over. Our Buff orp was between 6-9 months old, I think.

He was a boy all right! He went back to IFA about two weeks ago. Hopefully to a nice large flock he can join. He was a sweetie, but we got chickens for eggs and he wasn't going to give us any of those.

Back
Top Bottom