Just a Late Crower?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HenOrRoo1, Aug 4, 2016.

1. HenOrRoo1

HenOrRoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2016
    Magna, UT
    We have a White Leghorn named Cupcake I'm pretty sure is a roo, but at 19 1/2 weeks old still isn't crowing or laying. At what age do White Leghorns typically crow or lay? I thought it was between 17 and 19 weeks. The first picture is Cupcake at 17 1/2 weeks. The second is at 19 1/2 weeks. What do you think? Is he a late crower? Or is she going to lay any day now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Cupcake is definately a roo. He's probably just a late crower. Our buff Orpington didn't start crowing for a long time, too

3. HenOrRoo1

Jul 21, 2016
    Magna, UT
    Do you remember about how old your Buff was when he started crowing? Six months, maybe? Also, just out of curiosity, what is it about Cupcake that makes you think for certain he's a rooster? I'm just trying to build my knowledge for the future. :)

4. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    He has a very large comb and wattles, and also in leghorns, the male's comb tends to stand up while hens' flop over. Our Buff orp was between 6-9 months old, I think.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Cupcake has very visible male feathering. The back feathers are long, thin, and pointed. Not broad and rounded like hen feathers. Definitely a boy.

6. HenOrRoo1

Jul 21, 2016
    Magna, UT
    He was a boy all right! He went back to IFA about two weeks ago. Hopefully to a nice large flock he can join. He was a sweetie, but we got chickens for eggs and he wasn't going to give us any of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by