just a Q. on the sneezing?

crankster76

Songster
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
Kingston,Tn.
Hi folks, I live in Tennessee and I got a buff that is sneezing and has a little clear fluid running form his noze at the time of sneeze. I dont see any running anytime else. I can tell he is feeling poorly. my question is, is this always goig to be a sign of respatory illness or is there other things that could cause this. he's a great bird and I dont want to put him down if I dont have to. thanks..

I wouldn't rush to put him down. I just had a respiratory bug go through my coop, all 9 birds came down with it one after the other. Sneezing, coughing, rattling chests, just yuck. Showed a couple to my vet, he sent me home with a big bottle of Baytril for the whole flock. Kept them warm at night and gave them med's for 10 days, cleared up every single one of them, all back to normal now.

Quote:
how much baytril and where can i get it? did you inject or give it in drinking water?

i can tell u ,baytril is a prescription drug and u cannot eat the chickens or the eggs once u have given it to the birds.it comes in a tablet and liquid form from ur vet.

Quote:
how much baytril and where can i get it? did you inject or give it in drinking water?

i can tell u ,baytril is a prescription drug and u cannot eat the chickens or the eggs once u have given it to the birds.it comes in a tablet and liquid form from ur vet.

Can't eat the birds (I don't want to anyway) or eggs ever, or just after a few laying cycles have passed?

I saw a type of med called vetRX for chicken colds. May be something to check out. Also try some apple cider vinegar... its yummy for them and it clears out mucus.

Quote:
I'll give anything a try at this point...lol
I got my bottle of Oxine in the mail the other day and have been spraying it like crazy on everything. Will get the humidifier going this evening.
fl.gif

Quote:

I got it from my vet who took a look at a couple of my birds. It is a liquid given orally.

There is a Baytril 10% you can get to put in their water, I think it's available at www.allbirdproducts.com. I just don't care for dosing in the water since you never know just how much water a bird will drink per day, if the bird is sick it may not drink enough.

I also got the VetRx, it does help make it easier for them to breath.

Back
Top Bottom