Just a question about worming.

jsr5

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 17, 2018
Mid Missouri
Has anyone used or heard of using black walnut to treat chickens for worms? Is it safe or ar they allergic or anything. Not in crisis or anything just doing some reading discovered that native americans used the black walnut hulls in some manner to treat internal parasites and exterior wounds and such. Thought maybe it could be used as a natural option to treat worms. Thanks to you all for the informative responses I'm sure I will recieve.

The only thinks I know about black walnuts are that the walnuts can be a pain when the lawnmower hits them and any perennials that are planted around the trees become stunted due to the toxins in the black walnut roots. Even if you replant those perennials they won't grow any bigger.

Yeah between the tanins and the chickens I can't get a grass to go there. But there are some things apparently immune to em when wife remembers the name I'll share it but there is a ornamental plant left over from previous owners that refuses to even be slowed down.

Yeah between the tanins and the chickens I can't get a grass to go there. But there are some things apparently immune to em when wife remembers the name I'll share it but there is a ornamental plant left over from previous owners that refuses to even be slowed down.
I'm interested in the plant when you know the name! Thank you!

A few years ago I did some research comparing the nutrient value of black and English walnuts. For the most part it was a draw, but it was noted that eating black walnuts can deworm a human 😳 , so, maybe.

Black walnuts taste better, for sure.

Last edited:
Have you been reading "Backyard Poultry"? :lol: This subject is in this month's issue. I am a traditional medicine type, so I can't answer your question.

The substance that black walnut roots create is juglone. I can grow Hostas successfully under my black walnut tree.

Have you been reading "Backyard Poultry"? :lol: This subject is in this month's issue. I am a traditional medicine type, so I can't answer your question.

The substance that black walnut roots create is juglone. I can grow Hostas successfully under my black walnut tree.
No I haven't I have just been picking up buckets of black walnuts, somtimes known as bleepety bleep bleep bleeping legbreakers.

I prefer to use the commercial wormers, I've had too many sick birds from parasites and secondary infection, so I don't mess around any more. The parasite load in my environment is just too heavy. I use other herbals at times. This link as info on using black walnut as a wormer and how to make the tincture (takes 6 -8 weeks to make):
https://timbercreekfarmer.com/black-walnut-tincture-for-worming-chickens-and-livestock/
If you suspect a parasite I would recommend getting a fecal done to confirm, and redoing the fecal following the treatment to ensure that it was effective.

Back
Top Bottom