Just a random Hatching thought

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gryeyes, Feb 3, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Why does it make me so darned happy when a chick hatches? I mean, every single time. It's not old, after 45 some chicks. I already know I'm odd, in that it doesn't bother me if only one or two eggs hatch in a group of 24 - I am just thrilled to pieces when one hatches! It is best when they have a buddy or three, but A CHICK HATCHED! From something I could possibly have cracked and cooked for a meal 21 days earlier.

There's a marvelous, little living creature that wouldn't have been there if I hadn't placed an egg into an incubator and set everything as best as I could for its development. It pips a little crack, then a hole. And then it zips around that shell. And it peeps, and wriggles, and rests. And then it struggles out of the opened shell (most of the time by itself) and then rests some more. And THEN, and THEN: it fluffs up and is able to wobble around on its legs.

A living creature. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    I know it is an addiction [​IMG] I stay up all night to watch them hatch.

3. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Just got my incubator set up today, so I'll know soon. Debating on what eggs to try....Although, thinking we may go for something big...[​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I'm incubating, DW says, "You just love the chicks and you forget how much work they are".

Probably right, but I do it twice a year just the same.

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Tell me about it, I'm on my first hatch since I put the incubator away over christmas. I didn't go to bed last night I sat vigil by the incubator waiting for them to hatch [​IMG] So far 6 Button quail out and 3 Wyandotte eggs pipped [​IMG] Soooo exiting [​IMG]

6. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Its new life, that always great.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I know the feeling. My 1st hatch hatched on Jan 21/22. I am now on the 2nd time. Did 12 1st time got 6. Did 24 this time. It is so exciting. I agree with all of you [​IMG]

8. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I love the whole hatching process...it's like being a mad scientist! [​IMG] I have multiple bators running at ALL times! [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't even keep my count updated. DH is going to build me a humongous chick house...then I can hatch even more!! [​IMG] Oh boy...I'm in trouble!

9. Martin Grove Farm

Martin Grove Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that feeling too. I can't wait to get the incubators running. It's just too cold here right now. This morning it's -22 and brrrrr that is cold. I am so addicted to hatching eggs that last year as my turkey eggs were hatching, I took the day off work to watch and help if needed. Talk about lame choices. I would much rather be here on my little farm all day and manage with less than have to go into town to work. Unfortunately, I too have bills and payments due. Then there is that little thing called groceries. Need money so we can eat. We aren't at the stage where we can be self sufficient yet.

10. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I am with you all, didn't stay up all night (I need my sleep) but had to get up early to see what all the noise was in the hatcher. I have 7 new little fuzzy butts, running around, chirping away. [​IMG] It is just soooooo amazing how they know what to do. I have eggs all lined up through Easter, and I have no idea what i'm going to do with them all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by