Just a slow duck egg??

jennifer81

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
I might just need a little reassurance that this is normal...all I've ever hatched are chickens and I know nothing about ducks.

I was accidentally given a duck egg mixed in with my chicken eggs. Day 28 was Tuesday. On Saturday night, I turned it for the last time and increased the water in the incubator to raise the humidity. It's been at 75% since then. I also candled it and the air cell was nice and big, about 1/3 of the egg.

Tuesday I started hearing a tapping sound and saw the egg shake a lot. When I got home from work yesterday the egg had done a 180 degree turn. (Not turning upside down, but sideways!) Today, there is a lot of shaking and tapping...especially when I talk to it. It always moves when I talk to it. (Without lifting the incubator lid of course!!)

All this moving and tapping, but it still hasn't externally pipped though!! Today is technically Day 30. Is this normal?? I am so anxious that it's taking so long, and just wanted to see if this is normal. It is responding to my voice so well that I don't think it needs help, but I just need peace of mind I guess that this might be normal. I'm really worried about my students being upset if this one doesn't make it, it has always been their favorite egg because it's so different.

I posted a video of the egg shaking so I could show my students, here is the link to it on youtube in case you want to see it. :) It really moves! I think it moves more than any of the chicken eggs I've ever hatched.

Last edited:
Some ducks are slower. Keep the humidity up and it should hatch. It sure is active. Cool video.
fl.gif

Thanks, I have a clear topped incubator which makes it easy to video important moments. :)

i had the same happen today , so i helped it out because it had started shaking tuesday an a hole was in the side ,it would scream when i looked in incubater , so i was worried it was in to long , i dont know but it's doing great , it so cute

Still no progress tonight! :( It wasn't moving around as much today, so I got nervous tonight and candled it. When I did, I clearly saw it's head/beak in the air cell and it was tapping away. No external pip at all though.

Just worried it is trying but can't get out since I am not sure how to tell the difference between a slow duck hatch, or one that isn't going to make it.

I don't know what kind of duck it is, but it was already in its air cell so I was nervous it would run out of air.

But, it pipped last night!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
Yay!!! Now the painful wait continues...

Back
Top Bottom