Just Added Light - How Long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Jan 2, 2014.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hey all,
    I just added a light on a timer that extends the light until around 8:00pm at night. Gets dark around 4:00 here this time of year... It's been about 4 days now - just wondering how long before this begins to take effect on the egg laying habits? Last year I had no eggs for 3 months during the dead of winter. 16 birds and 0 eggs - ugh!

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It took mine about a week, week and a half, but they were just coming out of molting too.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Probably a week or two before you start seeing eggs.

It is actually better to add light in the morning, as that allows a natural twilight for the birds to put themselves to roost, instead of sudden darkness while they may still be moving around.

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Makes sense, but the timer the light is on is activated by a dusk activated sensor and then I can specify how long it stays on. I'd have to get up and manually turn them on early then manually turn them off otherwise. - Thanks.

5. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I'm curious...do you have eggs yet? I added light starting Dec 23, and still haven't seen an egg. My chickens finished molting several weeks ago. They stopped laying back in Sept. They're getting 16 hours of light/day. Lazy chickens...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by