Just amputated a chicken leg

Pics
I think he'll be fine. Something that traumatic will take a while. I had one who crushed her foot, she limped and pampered it for a good week, and id say probably 4 to 5 weeks before she was totally normal on it again, so yah it will take some time for that wound to fix itself. The fact that it's not bleeding, not further going gangrene is a very good sign. Some oozing or minor infection can unfortunately be expected given WHAT they are and HOW they live, no matter how clean we try to keep them. You did a really good job and i think he'll be fine just keep an eye on him.

Aaron

Im going to edit this a bit. Gangrene is literally dead flesh and HORRIBLE infection. he'd be in a lot of pain, week, the entire area would be pussy, runny, probably flies and maggots around it and smelling HORRIBLE. This might just be a bruise. That color green is just IMO too bright or 'perky' to be gangrene, it's not a 'sickly green' if that makes sense.

I think ya'all be fine. Please keep us updated.

I think he'll be fine. Something that traumatic will take a while. I had one who crushed her foot, she limped and pampered it for a good week, and id say probably 4 to 5 weeks before she was totally normal on it again, so yah it will take some time for that wound to fix itself. The fact that it's not bleeding, not further going gangrene is a very good sign. Some oozing or minor infection can unfortunately be expected given WHAT they are and HOW they live, no matter how clean we try to keep them. You did a really good job and i think he'll be fine just keep an eye on him.

Aaron

Im going to edit this a bit. Gangrene is literally dead flesh and HORRIBLE infection. he'd be in a lot of pain, week, the entire area would be pussy, runny, probably flies and maggots around it and smelling HORRIBLE. This might just be a bruise. That color green is just IMO too bright or 'perky' to be gangrene, it's not a 'sickly green' if that makes sense.

I think ya'all be fine. Please keep us updated.
Haha yeah, his leg was definitely gangrene but I just freaked out when I saw the color change on his side. Now that I look at it it looks like a bruise.

20210924_193731.jpg
it's looking darker and there's more spots than this morning. I'm starting to get worried again. Does it still look like bruising? Why is it suddenly bruising now? I gave the injection in the opposite side today and there's no bruising. What could be causing it?

20210925_070803.jpg
Here's how it looks this morning. It hasn't changed much. I let him out with the other chicks for a while and he seemed to enjoy it.
20210925_073153.jpg
He's having some trouble roosting but he's getting better at balancing. He's still eating and drinking a ton. His poop looks good so I'm staying hopeful. My family is now taking bets on his gender. We've got two votes for cockerel and one for pullet. I still think he's a cockerel but we'll see

Chicken bruises are green. That looks like bruising to me. I think it looks really good, actually. You did a good job! I get knocked about by my goats sometimes when I groom them, and it takes a day or two sometimes before I see the bruise. Keep it moist and clean. Watch for swelling and gnarly smells. Looks like he's on the mend.

20210926_070123.jpg
Here it is this morning. I think I'm going to take the stitches out tomorrow. I've decided to name him Pixar after the lamp that hops around (not sure how to describe it just look it up if you don't know). He's still doing really well. He's been eating a ton but he's having some trouble getting around. I'm hoping once he heals he'll be able to practice 'walking' more. His balance has improved and he's no longer falling into his water dish.

So last night i was at a farm helping out with some horses when I noticed a little cockerel sleeping nearby. As I got near him he tried to run away but his leg was dragging behind him. I caught him and they gave him to me for free. His leg was infected so I drained it and wrapped it. This morning I checked on him and the leg had turned completely green and smelled awful. I read some articles on leg amputation in chickens and many chickens have survived leg amputations and lived normally. I decided to try and save him.

I think I'm going to take the stitches out tomorrow.
Stitches went in on Thursday 9/23/2021 and you want to take them out 5 days later?
You sure?
Usually in animals, they keep stitches in for 10 days. I’m not sure about chickens.

I have not read through all of the pages, but I really hope you found something to help with pain. Imagine someone chopping off your leg without pain medicine.

Back
Top Bottom