Just amputated a chicken leg

Pics

TundraFang

Songster
Jul 31, 2021
United States
So last night i was at a farm helping out with some horses when I noticed a little cockerel sleeping nearby. As I got near him he tried to run away but his leg was dragging behind him. I caught him and they gave him to me for free. His leg was infected so I drained it and wrapped it. This morning I checked on him and the leg had turned completely green and smelled awful. I read some articles on leg amputation in chickens and many chickens have survived leg amputations and lived normally. I decided to try and save him.

I sterilized some wire cutters and set up a work station. I don't have painkillers or anesthetic so I had two family members helping me hold him. I wrapped the chicken's upper half and good leg in a towel and had paper towels ready to stop the bleeding. I crushed the ball part of the femur and popped it out of the hip and in one clean cut it was gone. I applied pressure and the bleeding stopped fairly quickly. I had plenty of skin to sew the wound closed and he was able to stand an hour after surgery.

I have blu-kote but I didn't apply any because I won't be able to see it if it's purple. Do you recommend anything? I have a tractor supply nearby so maybe they have something I could use.
I'm not an expert so I wouldn't know what to get or use. I can tag someone who can help if it becomes needed @Wyorp Rock

Can we get pictures of the leg area and the bird?
20210922_075405.jpg
20210922_080910.jpg
20210922_083448.jpg
Resized_20210922_064404.jpeg
Resized_20210922_064343.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom