Just amputated a chicken leg

Pics
Unfortunately I've got some bad news. The gangrene is back and I'm not sure what to do now. I let him outside to play with the younger chicks and he seems happy. I'm not sure if he's going to survive but I'll continue treatment and keep him comfortable.
20210924_072531.jpg

Unfortunately I've got some bad news. The gangrene is back and I'm not sure what to do now. I let him outside to play with the younger chicks and he seems happy. I'm not sure if he's going to survive but I'll continue treatment and keep him comfortable.View attachment 2844619
Are you talking about the green colored skin? Likely bruising.
Any odors or pus?
How is he acting?

Are you talking about the green colored skin? Likely bruising.
Any odors or pus?
How is he acting?
Now that you mention it I could be bruising. It's just such a vibrant green and it looks just like his leg did. There's no pus and the odor is present but not horrible. He's got less energy than before and isn't eating as much. I haven't seen him drink at all this morning. I gave him another dose of penicillin so I'm hoping that helps. I moved him to a table right next to me so I can see if he drinks.

There's no pus and the odor is present but not horrible.
Chicken bruising is usually green, but the mention of odor being present is concerning.
Any drainage from the wound?

Do you have a vet that can get you some a different antibiotic or can you order one? Eggcessive made some good suggestions on a previous post - one of those may be more effective than the Penicillin. I know sourcing medications quickly can be a huge challenge nowadays. I would definitely finish the round of Penicillin.

I also think that antibiotics would be good for an amputation. Penicillin injectable is available at many feed stores (in the refrigerated medicines,) and Aqua Mox or Fish Mox amoxicillin is found online, or sometimes in feedstores. Clindamycin or cephalexin are good antibiotics to help prevent bone infections, and may be found online for fish or birds. Watch the wound for any swelling or drainage, or a bad odor. Hopefully your cockerel will recover well.

Chicken bruising is usually green, but the mention of odor being present is concerning.
Any drainage from the wound?

Do you have a vet that can get you some a different antibiotic or can you order one? Eggcessive made some good suggestions on a previous post - one of those may be more effective than the Penicillin. I know sourcing medications quickly can be a huge challenge nowadays. I would definitely finish the round of Penicillin.
There's no drainage but I did take out a stitch because a lot of you advised it. I did call the vet in my area but she won't take a chicken. I'll see if I can order some Clindamycin or Cephalexin.

He's been drinking and hopping around his bin. He keeps throwing his bedding everywhere. I took his bandage off because it's easier for him to move around without it. He hasn't picked at it and seems to be preening more now. His poops were a little runny this morning but they look fine now. He still hasn't eaten much so I might make him some mash.

He's been drinking and hopping around his bin. He keeps throwing his bedding everywhere. I took his bandage off because it's easier for him to move around without it. He hasn't picked at it and seems to be preening more now. His poops were a little runny this morning but they look fine now. He still hasn't eaten much so I might make him some mash.
Normal or good looking poops in my opinion is a great sign. I remember seeing dark green poops when any of my birds had some kind of infection

Back
Top Bottom