Just amputated a chicken leg

Pics
We have a rooster named Storm who gets around on one leg. His other leg is paralyzed/doesn't work but he gets around pretty well! He's been "one-legged" for about a year now and we give him his own space in the winter because the cold slows him down. Your story is very interesting, it actually taught me a lot. We also have a 3 year old hen who has a lame leg so I exercise her good leg everyday and she's on the road to recovery as a one-legged. One of our turkey also had very crooked legs from an injury (her legs healed crooked/to the side) as a poult that we tried and tried to fix (for about a year) but died in a tragic accident.

So last night i was at a farm helping out with some horses when I noticed a little cockerel sleeping nearby. As I got near him he tried to run away but his leg was dragging behind him. I caught him and they gave him to me for free. His leg was infected so I drained it and wrapped it. This morning I checked on him and the leg had turned completely green and smelled awful. I read some articles on leg amputation in chickens and many chickens have survived leg amputations and lived normally. I decided to try and save him.
Did you did this on your own my bird has his leg dragging and also smelled bad couple days ago too

Back
Top Bottom