Just an idea to keep the mess down. . .

cici_p

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Thought I would share since this is working so well.
We moved all our ducks and chickens outside to the coop this week.
To keep the mess down in our chicken house, I bought a little dog pool from petsmart (they are just like the plastic kiddie wading pools except smaller) and cut out a small doorway for the birds to be able to walk in and out. When I cut out the doorway, I left 3-4 inches of plastic sticking up, to keep any water from running out.
Then I put the water and food bowls in the pool, so the birds have an eating area they can get as messy as they want.
All I have to do is pull it out everyday and hose it out.
The bedding in the chicken coop has stayed completely dry!
It's working wonders!

I'M OFF TO PETSMART!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Do the chickens have to eat in the pool? Do they mind having to stand in water to eat??
I just got ducks and they will be bunking with the chickens in a few weeks (after quarantine to make sure no one is sick ect)
idunno.gif

My youngest ducks are three weeks old. The youngest chicks are 4 weeks. It is in the 80s in the day here, and at night I just turn on a heat lamp. They haven't seemed cold at all; most of the time they either lay spread out under the lamp, or huddled together away from it.
The chicks were brooded with the ducks, so I don't think the mess in the feeding area bothers them at all!
lol.png

They are actually much cleaner now than they were in the brooder. It only gets the bottoms of their feet wet, not like it is knee deep.
I think it is a relief for all of us to move these guys outside! They are all much happier, and I know I am.
I will try to take a picture later.

Sounds like a great idea. I'd like to see pictures too. My ducks are 3 weeks old but it is still dropping into the 40's at night here, so I wont put them out for another week or so. But I am always on the look out for tips on keeping the coop dry. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom