Just an old girl on her way out?

EatonsatCantas

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Larroque-St-Sernin, France
I have been reading all the posts I can about breathing problems but nothing seems to fit. We were given 6 girls from a friend who had to move. After a bit we realized they were not very young....at all. No eggs to speak of from any of them except very large gnarled ones every once in a while. Now none of them lay.

Since they arrived we have lost 3....one to a fox...one with bumble foot that was very bad and didn't improve and we ended her life....and one who was like a 90 year old granny who had problems keeping up with the flock and sat and rested whenever she could - she simply disappeared. Most likely a fox got her as well.

Now one of the old girls has been breathing badly....wheezing really. She has stopped leaving the coop pen and prefers to sit in an adjacent lean-to where the water is. Her comb is red, she is still as fat as ever and eats well. No one picks on her. She just breaths very heavily and audibly and when sitting her body moves with her breathing.

Is this just nearing the end of her life? She has no sysmptoms to suggest any kind of respiratory problems or diseases. Just taxed breathing.

We also have 3 black gascon hens and a black gascon rooster who are doing fine. All are completely free range and have the run of wherever they wish to go....much to our consternation and the health of our potted plants! We suplement their diet with organic wheat, corn, sunflower seeds and oyster shells.

Ken

I have a few old birds like that too...if you are sure that you dont have any respiratory issues going maybe she is just that--OLD! But on the other hand I have heard of chickens making it to 15+ years...I have never had one though...dont know what else to say but that you are a very nice person to support the old ones for their life...
hugs.gif

HA! Thanks. Yes we keep wondering why we just don't give them the chop as they really are not contributing anything for their keep. But....they have a good life and allow they young girls a little breathing room from the cock and we figure just let them live it until they go.

Good to hear that maybe that's all it is...just old age. We think they are at least 6-8 years old. Maybe much more....

Ken

Just posting to agree, your guess is probably the most likely, and how kind of you to let them finish things off with comfort and naturally. I suspect your younger hens would also agree!

Back
Top Bottom