Just an up-date

Ok I've found out what is wrong its Coryza dang it. I'm treating it with Duramycin-10 started it yesterday, only mix'n up a gal at a time so it does go to waste, I bought some straw from a local farmer to use on the floor and going to clean out the coop everyday, I'm pray'n for the best. Thanks everyone.

celebrate.gif
Alright now, all seems well, (thank god). They all are eating and drinking very well. Going to keep them on the antibody for another 10 days like the package says. Also feeding medicated feed, all I could find was Starter/Grower so I'm mixing it with the Grower/Finisher about half and half, going to do that till I run outa the Starter/Grower.

It was a nice day today (42) so I let em out for some fresh air and some running room,
ya.gif
it was great to see em haul butt to the door. I know it's only been 2 days of treatment but they are acting like their old selves again.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
There is a couple of things you can try to perk them up that doesn't cost a lot. Blue Ribbon is an packet of electrolyte you can get pretty cheap at farm supply stores to put in their water. If they don't want to drink you may need to give it to them with a syringe. Also probiotics will help if it is a digestive issue. Yogurt is a good treat to give them and may tempt them if they are off their feed. Maybe wouldn't hurt to put them on a medicated crumble. Also what is the temp where you are? if they are cold stressed warming them up can't hurt.

Could be nothing at all wrong. Maybe they had just eaten before you checked on them. There's not a lot to for them to do in winter, so they do a lot of standing around. When it's really cold, they often just hang out in the coop, waiting for spring to come. I'd wait and watch before giving any sort of medication.

It looks like I do when I have allergies. I think you should inspect your feed for mold as someone else suggested.
(For clarification, I get puffy with allergies, no beak and comb thing happens.)

mine are kind of dozey today too... hanging out in the coop and not overly excited about grub... Its not really cold but it is windy...I think the wind freaks them out a little when it scuttles the leaves around and waves the branches over their heads. Ill check on them again in a bit, but it didnt strike me as an illness...I called them lazy girls to their faces
lol.png

Just looked at the 2nd photo more closely. Now that I see the puffy eyes - I think you do have something going on if you are saying that they have that puffiness again. I doubt allergies, the chances of which would be vanishingly small, I think, in 4 chx at the same time. Looks like a cold - very common, and contagious. Usually they fight it and it goes away, but watch for discharge, which could mean bacterial infection. For now, in the absence of bacterial infection, assume it is a cold (viral), and maybe give them a little boost with vitamins and electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom