just another crazy critter lady

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. That was a terrific introduction, and a wonderful photo of your dog and chick. Their brindled colors sort of match and make it such a great picture. Looking forward to hearing lots about your birds and seeing more wonderful photos.

There are others here into permaculture (Me, included), as well as gardening generally. I can imagine the challenges of growing in a Florida sandy environment. Is it saline where you are, as well? I know that different entities maintain lists of plants that are salt tolerant to different degrees. Is this an issue for you? I have to think about it mostly because I live on a busy road and sidewalk that get salted a lot all winter long. I am not that close to beaches.

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. That was a terrific introduction, and a wonderful photo of your dog and chick. Their brindled colors sort of match and make it such a great picture. Looking forward to hearing lots about your birds and seeing more wonderful photos.

There are others here into permaculture (Me, included), as well as gardening generally. I can imagine the challenges of growing in a Florida sandy environment. Is it saline where you are, as well? I know that different entities maintain lists of plants that are salt tolerant to different degrees. Is this an issue for you? I have to think about it mostly because I live on a busy road and sidewalk that get salted a lot all winter long. I am not that close to beaches.
Thank you!
Yes, gardening is a whole new experience when there's nothing but sand. Under the big oak tree canopies are pretty much the only places there are that have a semblance of soil 😅
Our biggest issues stem from walled in developments aka gulags that are encroaching, the micro climates have completely changed over the last few years. Groundwater levels are dropping faster than chicken poop 🥹 and what was lush is turning into desert.
We're adapting and experimenting with what will work best despite the challenges. Clear cutting hundreds of acres of jungle with millions of species of fauna and flora to replace them with 1 species of lawn grass, a handful of plants and loads of concrete are a guaranteed way to compromise a previously healthy environment, and we call it "progress", but I digress.
We do our best to keep up with nature's cycles and overcoming the man made difficulties we create.
The soil/ground water PH are crazy, I have a Haas avocado that is my experiment in growing despite salt and sand 🙃 All I can say is thank goodness for mango 😂

We're also resorting to growing a few tomatoes, cucumber, summer squashes etc indoors for the scorcher part of the season. This year we're experimenting with vertical growing in wicking tubs to get some plants going without further straining the water table. It's a learning curve for sure, but we love producing at least some of our own food, our needs are simple. Nothing like fresh kitchen herbs and beautiful, rich butt nuggets the girls give us for treating them well 😊

It's funny you mention the dog/chick coloring, I realized myself this morning how much the chicks look like Harlequins 😁
even if it's not for long!

Thank you!
Yes, gardening is a whole new experience when there's nothing but sand. Under the big oak tree canopies are pretty much the only places there are that have a semblance of soil 😅
Our biggest issues stem from walled in developments aka gulags that are encroaching, the micro climates have completely changed over the last few years. Groundwater levels are dropping faster than chicken poop 🥹 and what was lush is turning into desert.
We're adapting and experimenting with what will work best despite the challenges. Clear cutting hundreds of acres of jungle with millions of species of fauna and flora to replace them with 1 species of lawn grass, a handful of plants and loads of concrete are a guaranteed way to compromise a previously healthy environment, and we call it "progress", but I digress.
We do our best to keep up with nature's cycles and overcoming the man made difficulties we create.
The soil/ground water PH are crazy, I have a Haas avocado that is my experiment in growing despite salt and sand 🙃 All I can say is thank goodness for mango 😂

We're also resorting to growing a few tomatoes, cucumber, summer squashes etc indoors for the scorcher part of the season. This year we're experimenting with vertical growing in wicking tubs to get some plants going without further straining the water table. It's a learning curve for sure, but we love producing at least some of our own food, our needs are simple. Nothing like fresh kitchen herbs and beautiful, rich butt nuggets the girls give us for treating them well 😊

It's funny you mention the dog/chick coloring, I realized myself this morning how much the chicks look like Harlequins 😁
even if it's not for long!
I am so fascinated by your growing challenges and experiments! I have been using micro dwarf tomato plants to grow inside my house even in the winter. I hand pollinate them using an electric toothbrush to simulate the bumble bee buzz. I get pretty good results, and have been very happy with what I have, though it's mostly cherry types. I only grew a beefsteak mini tomato once, and it turned out pretty well. Cherry types are just easier, but don't make sandwiches! :drool

I am so fascinated by your growing challenges and experiments! I have been using micro dwarf tomato plants to grow inside my house even in the winter. I hand pollinate them using an electric toothbrush to simulate the bumble bee buzz. I get pretty good results, and have been very happy with what I have, though it's mostly cherry types. I only grew a beefsteak mini tomato once, and it turned out pretty well. Cherry types are just easier, but don't make sandwiches! :drool
We just grew a nice batch of Numex Big Jim peppers, fire roasted them and made Colorado style pork green chili!
There will be huevos rancheros tomorrow morning :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom