Just another 'GAPEWORM?' thread....

Not sure I'd jump right to gapeworm, it's pretty rare and mostly in warmer climates.
Got video of the head shaking?
First thing I'd do is look in her ears.

Then check for bugs
My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Then...... isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Thank you! I do indeed know how to look for mites. No problem catching her, she's an invalid.

So, one of my hens is making gapeworm-like neck movements; I'd like advice or experience!

Things To Know:
  • She's always been a sickly runt
  • She'd otherwise healthy
  • No crackly breathing
  • Occasionally holds her mouth slightly open when breathing
  • No other hens with symptoms
  • I treat them monthly for worms
Questions:
  • is this gapeworm?
  • where would it have come from?
  • How to treat?
Thanks a lot.
What you describe leads me to assume that she might be suffering from a congenital heart condition.

Back
Top Bottom