Just another genetic question

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
So right now one of my buff orpingtons are on two of her sisters eggs (another buff orpington) And I've seen so far, two out of my four roosters on her. One of those roosters are a BLR Wyandotte, what would the chicks look like?
IMG_20220421_142627.jpg

The other Is my Easter Egger rooster, and the same question, what would the chicks potentially look like?
20230320_181839.jpg

The main reason I ask is because im not sure who the father will be and I'd like to be able to identify the chicks.

The main reason I ask is because im not sure who the father will be and I'd like to be able to identify the chicks.
Assuming you are correct about the mother being a Buff Orpington, and only two roosters actually mated with the hen, here are some things to look at for sorting out the chicks:

Comb type:
--Any chick with a rose comb has the Wyandotte father. (Rose comb is wide and flat, even on very young chicks).
--Any chick with a pea comb has the Easter Egger father. (Pea comb will be the hardest of the three to recognize. It's typically not as wide as a rose comb, but not as thin as a single comb. It often lacks the serrated edge seen on the single comb. In my experience, it tends to be a bit shorter, not reaching as far to the back of the head as some other types of comb.)
--A chick with a single comb could come from either father. (Single comb tends to be skinny on young chicks, and may flop to one side, but typically has an obvious serrated edge when you look closely.)

Blue:
--Any chick that shows blue (gray) in the feathers has the Wyandotte father. The blue gene affects all black on the chicken, although it seems to affect some parts of the chicken more strongly than others (so a chick might show black on the head and blue on the tail.) I think the Wyandotte is actually Splash Laced, which would mean all his chicks will get the blue gene.

Possible problem: some Buff Orpingtons have a gene that turns black or blue to white. That would mean you can't tell whether a chick inherited Blue from the Wyandotte or Black (not-blue) from the Easter Egger.

Beard:
--Any chick that shows a beard (puffy cheeks at hatch, feathers under the beak later) must have the Easter Egger father.
--A chick with no beard could come from either father.

Silver/gold:
--Any chick from the Wyandotte father must show gold/red color.
--Any chick that shows Silver must have the Easter Egger father.
--But the Easter Egger father might also produce some gold/red chicks, so you can't be as sure about them.
Note, silver vs. gold will not tell you the gender of the chicks from this cross. To use those genes to produce sex-linked chicks requires a silver mother which your Buff Orpington is definitely not.

I think that should be enough to sort out at least most chick possibilities. You could still have trouble If you get a gold chick, with single comb and no beard, that shows white (rather than black or blue). But I wouldn't expect many chicks to get that combination, so with only two eggs you might not see any.

And I've seen so far, two out of my four roosters on her.
The other two roosters might have mated with her when you weren't looking, so they are also possible fathers.
The points above are specific to the two roosters you showed.
If you post photos of the other two roosters, I might be able to provide points to sort them out too.

Assuming you are correct about the mother being a Buff Orpington, and only two roosters actually mated with the hen, here are some things to look at for sorting out the chicks:

Comb type:
--Any chick with a rose comb has the Wyandotte father. (Rose comb is wide and flat, even on very young chicks).
--Any chick with a pea comb has the Easter Egger father. (Pea comb will be the hardest of the three to recognize. It's typically not as wide as a rose comb, but not as thin as a single comb. It often lacks the serrated edge seen on the single comb. In my experience, it tends to be a bit shorter, not reaching as far to the back of the head as some other types of comb.)
--A chick with a single comb could come from either father. (Single comb tends to be skinny on young chicks, and may flop to one side, but typically has an obvious serrated edge when you look closely.)

Blue:
--Any chick that shows blue (gray) in the feathers has the Wyandotte father. The blue gene affects all black on the chicken, although it seems to affect some parts of the chicken more strongly than others (so a chick might show black on the head and blue on the tail.) I think the Wyandotte is actually Splash Laced, which would mean all his chicks will get the blue gene.

Possible problem: some Buff Orpingtons have a gene that turns black or blue to white. That would mean you can't tell whether a chick inherited Blue from the Wyandotte or Black (not-blue) from the Easter Egger.

Beard:
--Any chick that shows a beard (puffy cheeks at hatch, feathers under the beak later) must have the Easter Egger father.
--A chick with no beard could come from either father.

Silver/gold:
--Any chick from the Wyandotte father must show gold/red color.
--Any chick that shows Silver must have the Easter Egger father.
--But the Easter Egger father might also produce some gold/red chicks, so you can't be as sure about them.
Note, silver vs. gold will not tell you the gender of the chicks from this cross. To use those genes to produce sex-linked chicks requires a silver mother which your Buff Orpington is definitely not.

I think that should be enough to sort out at least most chick possibilities. You could still have trouble If you get a gold chick, with single comb and no beard, that shows white (rather than black or blue). But I wouldn't expect many chicks to get that combination, so with only two eggs you might not see any.

The other two roosters might have mated with her when you weren't looking, so they are also possible fathers.
The points above are specific to the two roosters you showed.
If you post photos of the other two roosters, I might be able to provide points to sort them out too.
Here's the BO, case you think she's mixed:
20230312_145105.jpg

And the other two, the mottled java may have gotten her, though the barnyard i highly doubt has as he only likes his flock and only bullies the other hens, he'll chase/peck them and thats it. Though I guess you can tell me what might come out of him.
20230322_162157.jpg

The barnyard is a cross between a Sebright, Rir, cuckoo maran, and i think a legbar (probably not crested):
20230322_154407.jpg

Here's the BO, case you think she's mixed:
Looks like a Buff Orpington to me, but good to check when trying to predict chicks :)

And the other two, the mottled java may have gotten her, though the barnyard i highly doubt has as he only likes his flock and only bullies the other hens, he'll chase/peck them and thats it. Though I guess you can tell me what might come out of him.
If any chicks are all black, they come from the Mottled Java rooster. None of the other three roosters has the right genes to produce black chicks.

With any single comb hen, his chicks will never have a rose comb or a pea comb.
With a non-bearded hen, his chicks will never have beards.
He will not give blue to his chicks.

Gold vs. silver probably doesn't matter, because there will be too much black to tell.

The barnyard is a cross between a Sebright, Rir, cuckoo maran, and i think a legbar (probably not crested):
I think he could produce gold or silver chicks.
No blue, no rose comb, no pea comb, no beard. Chicks with any of those traits cannot be his (when the mother does not have the trait.)

Some of the possible chicks from him could be like some of the possible chicks from the Wyandotte or Easter Egger.

Points that apply when considering all 4 roosters:
Rose comb, must have Wyandotte father.
Blue, must have Wyandotte father.
Pea comb, must have Easter Egger father.
Beard, must have Easter Egger father.
Black all over (or almost all over), must have Java father.
Silver, cannot have Wyandotte father, could possibly have any of the other three fathers.

Looks like a Buff Orpington to me, but good to check when trying to predict chicks :)

If any chicks are all black, they come from the Mottled Java rooster. None of the other three roosters has the right genes to produce black chicks.

With any single comb hen, his chicks will never have a rose comb or a pea comb.
With a non-bearded hen, his chicks will never have beards.
He will not give blue to his chicks.

Gold vs. silver probably doesn't matter, because there will be too much black to tell.

I think he could produce gold or silver chicks.
No blue, no rose comb, no pea comb, no beard. Chicks with any of those traits cannot be his (when the mother does not have the trait.)

Some of the possible chicks from him could be like some of the possible chicks from the Wyandotte or Easter Egger.

Points that apply when considering all 4 roosters:
Rose comb, must have Wyandotte father.
Blue, must have Wyandotte father.
Pea comb, must have Easter Egger father.
Beard, must have Easter Egger father.
Black all over (or almost all over), must have Java father.
Silver, cannot have Wyandotte father, could possibly have any of the other three fathers.
@NatJ
Here they are! This one is all yellow with some brown/black on the back of head.
Screenshot_20230408-105534_Gallery.jpg

And this one is yellow with brown stripes down back and across head.
Screenshot_20230408-105529_Gallery.jpg

I think the first one has a pea comb. If so, its father is the Easter Egger rooster.
The second one has a rose comb, so the Wyandotte rooster must be the father.

Cute chicks :)
Thats what i figured, cool how one of the each i figured would probably be the fathers ended up taking one of each.

Back
Top Bottom