Just another thought on raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by congdon476, Jan 14, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
  2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    That makes me wish I lived where I had a 'coon problem!! I'd have no trouble making them into dinner.

3. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

Rte.66_chicks :

That makes me wish I lived where I had a 'coon problem!! I'd have no trouble making them into dinner.

If you ever want to go coon hunting, contact me as I have the perfect spot that I would love to rid of them.​

4. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    I find this really disturbing. I raise/foster/release racoons and it makes me sad people dislike them so but i know coonies cause trouble out there to make people dislike them especially for people who lose birds. But i mean there just trying to survive as we all do. they just dont have a super market they can drive to get their food. I too have lost birds to predators including racoons but i have never blammed them. I have blammed myself for not protecting my animals better. Im living over their homes, they lived here first so i give them all the respect i believe they deserve. It goes for all animals of predator status. idk its just my opinion. I just love the little buggers. And hate to see people wanting to kill them all the time. Again My deepest sympathies to all of u whom have lost ur animals to coonies. But I too think of all the coonies that have been lost to humans.

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

The road ways are a good example of just how many raccoons are around..Most places you drive, your sure to see plenty of them around laying dead on the roadways.
    today with not so many trappers around these days the population will just keep growing and growing..There must be a balance and they cannot be left to go unchecked.
    they surely wont be on the endangered list anytime soon...So with that said, feel free to protect your birds and other pets and family members with a vigilance in any matter you see fit....
    **One thing, don't live trap them and release them(put them down), all your doing is giving some else your problems, plus in most states its illegal to release them somewhere else i know in pa it is...

thanks
    Charlie

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  6. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    Pyrocon lotour sp? or the Racoon is the most common road kill in all of the US. Due to man, his waste, his house, animal/ live stock husbandry, and the great reduction of preditors like bob cats, mountian lions, coyotes, and wolves, Raccoon populations are soaring much as the deer are. Most places where raccoons are a problem is around man. They are excellent at what they do. As a young man in college I rehabilitated many raccoons to the wild. Those found in atics etc. As a biologist I now know that most habitat that holds raccoons has all it can handle and dumping more on them increases stress through starvation, disease migration and imigration. If you can place racoons in habitat that has vacancies those individuals have a chance. Except that they most likley have not adjusted their diet to eating snails, creyfish, persimmons, etc. They have lost thier fear of man. But raccoons have the genetics and genotypic behavior to survive. If they dont migrate back into human populations. I think I have said enough there. Now if people want to harvest a raccoon for its fur,great, I would really like to see them eat them too. With populations artifically increased, the state of our nations employment, I think we should encourage any one who wants to eat raccoons to do so. I sent the artical to several of my friends.

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:It is the circle of life. Sometimes the predator becomes the prey. I am glad people are eating them so the meat does not waste.

8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    raccoons are nuisance species. they carry rabies and will kill your chickens if given a chance. i shoot every one i see

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Raccoons are nice animals when they are raised by humans, they don't need to be mean. Everything is given to them.

But in the wild they have to be aggressive animals to survive. We put a bad lable on them, as their true behavior is docile... gentle animals.

But again I have no problem dispatching raccoons if they get into our poultry. Once they find them and some how get in.... they don't stop killing until the chickens are gone or locked up and make a mess.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  10. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    At least the meat isn't going to waste. If you kill it you should you use it - in my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by