Just born Ayem Cemani Chicks have red bunch on thier bellys?

Sheriloo3

Songster
Aug 20, 2020
Hello all! I have hatched about 25-30 chicks in the last couple months (mainly Silkies and Serama's), but this is my first time incubating and hatching Ayem Cemani's! Here is my concern; the first bird that hatched this morning has a red bunch on it's belly where the umbilical cord attaches. It's pretty predominant, almost like a tumor or abscess. I didn't notice much on the second bird, but this one got up and moving so fast, I didn't have a chance to see the underside. The third one just hatched about an hour ago and I noticed a red patch on it's belly too. Not nearly as raised as the first bird, more of a spot, but strange none-the-less.

Is this normal for them or a sign of an issue? I spent quite a bit of money on these eggs and will be very sad to find out they have some kind of issue that is going to cause them to have problems or even die.

I'll go get some pics, but I wanted to post right away in case someone had any answers for me- sight unseen.

I just pulled the 3 that have hatched out to take pics. The first one is drying up and looks a little less angry (first two pics). The second one looks totally normal (third pic). The third is a little more raised than it initially looked but looks far more smooth than the first did (fourth pic). The first one definitely has more egg goop dried up on it's back, while the second bird is super cute and fluffy. The third is still new and drying, so it's hard to tell.
first baby cemani.jpg

first baby cemnai 2.jpg

second baby cemani.jpg

Third baby cemani.jpg

I would say they’re just unhealed navels. Keep an eye on them over the next few days, they should either heal or dry up and drop off. Make sure there’s no pecking.

Thank you so much, that makes me feel better. I'll probably start them out in my smaller brooder, just because it's easier to keep really clean than my bigger one that I typically use. I'll keep an eye on them for a few days and report back if I have any more concerns.

Thanks again!

Update!! I moved the 5 hatched babies to the brooder so the remaining babies could have some peace and quite while they prepped for hatching. I inspected each of them as i moved them and am happy to announce, all but one looks completely normal!!!

The first one that had the angry looking bunch looks much better, with just a little scab that is barely noticeable. I dabbed a tiny bit of coconut oil on it and added some nitro-drench to their water. I’ll keep the electrolytes in the water for a few days to keep them up and perky but I think everyone will be just fine!

I still have 3 more getting ready to zip out any time now, so I’ll see what happens with them. My last 2 are no longer showing songs of life, so I’m not thinking they will do anything more. I’ll keep them in for another day or two, who knows, but I’m not expecting much.

With that being said, does anyone know why chicks get all the way through the development process, just to die on hatch day, without even pipping or anything?

Back
Top Bottom