Just bought a chick with pasty butt

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Hi y’all so Ijust bought a chick with pasty butt ( because I wanted to give it a chance to live). And now I’m thinking will it live? It looks severe! Please help!

Attachments

• 1E1519AF-56D0-421E-8CFC-6886CB21E8C4.jpeg
    1E1519AF-56D0-421E-8CFC-6886CB21E8C4.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 31
I'm certainly not the most experienced around but yes that looks bad. I had one about the same, I took the little guy and soaked his rear in a warm cup of water, using a Q-Tip to gently rub his bum and it slowly worked all of it off. I think you can give her some olive oil if you have a dropper, on the side of her beak. She should swallow a few drops which might help if she is backed up. Once you have her rear cleaned you can gently dry it with a soft towel and use a blow dryer on the lowest setting, it will fluff her right up again. Good luck!

Pasty butt can be common in chicks from feed stores and others who are shipped. Most feed store employees either don’t know about this or care, but chicks can die with pasty butt. Clean and get the vent opening open with a small amount of warm and soapy water. Dry with a tissue, and hurry to not chill the chick. You can apply a drop of oil to the vent with a QTip to help prevent more from sticking. But make sure the chick is taking plenty of water. Dip it’s beak often today. Check it daily because it may paste again a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom