Just bought myself a LG, Now to figure out what to do with it!

mychookschick

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Maine
Hello,

I just bought Little Giant still air incubator (9200, if that makes any difference)! I am so excited! I read the entire users manual, and fired it up! It is holding a constant temp of 99.5-100 degrees F.

I was told by someone that (as well as filling the water trays) I should put a sponge in the bottom. Is this only during lockdown, or for the whole incubation?

I would like to know EVERYONE'S Little Giant tips, and what has made your hatches go better!

Thanks for all the help!
My Chooks Chick

I'm hatching in my LG right now with no water, all vents open, and my humidity is holding steady around 40%. It will depend on the environment that you have your bator set up in, but I candled on Sat. (day 7) and 12 out of 14 were coming along fine! I'm not planning on adding any water until lock down.

Ok... Thanks! I may need to buy a hydrometer (I can't spell today!)... Does anyone know how much it costs? The guy that I bought my bator from said that he never had one, he just kept the water trays full the whole time... He hatched 10 out of 10 eggs in it.

I would really like more tips from those that have LG's! Even it is the most random tip, it could be helpful to me, or even others!

Thank you!

I'm on my first hatch with 7 eggs...here's a pic...hope the upload works. It took a few days to get the temps and humidity stable, but once I figured it out, it has worked like a charm so far.

89480_dsc_0906.jpg

I've liked mine alot - surprising because I think I may get one or two that hatch out of the 12 I set. They should hatch this week. My humidity was very, very low initially. I could hardly get it above 15% with only one vent open. I've only gone to two vents open these last couple of days because the humidity would drop again. My temps held steady for the most part. My humidity was great once I put the steaming hot sopping wet microfiber pads (cloth diaper inserts) inside. It's been very steady since then. Doing it again (which I will this week), I would put the pads (or sponges) in initially - even if I wasn't using them. It's just easier. A 60cc syringe and a McD's straw worked great for adding hot water through the vent holes. Did you get the auto turner too? Because my house is so dry, when I do set again I will keep a vaporizer/humidifier running in the room. I added one last week and I really think that made all the difference.

I really like my pet store Flukers hygrometer. It came in a pack with a thermometer and it's small and round and fits right in the egg tray - maybe under $10 for both? I think the thermometer is a little low, but I didn't calibrate it before starting.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom