Just "broke-in". Bought a chicken tractor and 3 hens.

infinitijeff

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Been looking for a while and found a great deal on craigslist. Did some reading before getting them. Big hens, one full blooded RIR and the other 2 mixed. Have gotten 2 eggs in 2 days. Read how you need a rooster to protect them. Bought a 2-4 month old full blooded RIR(just now getting his spurs somewhat). Put him in with the others and right away the full blooded RIR hen started chasing and pecking him. At one point had him down on his side. So I took some fencing and put a division in-between the two, they can see each other. The rooster is happy and the hens don't seem to care. Do I let the rooster continue to grow across fom them ansd when would I rejoin them. Again, they are in a chicken tractor.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry, but the thought of the hen attacking the rooster and having him down on his side gave me a real chuckle! I think my hens would do the same thing if I ever introduced a rooster to their little flock of six. They have their pecking order all worked out and would no welcome a stranger. I'd let him live in his own space for awhile. They may get used to him and hopefully except him. Wait a week and introduce him again.
Good luck! and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom