Just built coop and lighting. When will i get eggs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lancasterflock, Oct 4, 2015.

1. lancasterflock

lancasterflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    We just built a bigger coop for our 10 girls. We are new to this and so far are loving it. Are girls have still not laid any eggs yet. But with reading your suggestions we just added a rope light on a timer to be on 3 hours before sunrise. We have anxiously been waiting for eggs and were hoping with a comfier coop and light will do the trick. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    im not sure that chickens are too picky about how their coop looks to be honest (but your looks mighty fine).

Signs of laying include bright red wattles / combs and squatting in front of you (they want to be mated and are hence sexually mature). This is usually around 6 months.

Good luck!

CT

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    How old are your girls?

4. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks ken! Well, chickenmamm when we got them about a month ago she told us they were 6 months?

5. lancasterflock

Sep 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Their combs and wattles are starting to get red. But still yet to see any eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm sure it will be any time soon - just have to be patient i guess (as we all are - NOT [​IMG]).

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by