...just BUYING a chicken run?

Pics
Buy a Dog Pen (chain link.) Run a hot wire down low and one up top. Put netting over the top.

I think mine was $175 delivered.
Just be careful not to let hotwire come in contact with the dog pen!
I've considered hotwire but it scares me. Read a post somewhere where someone did a DIY. They forgot to add the part that causes the current to be intermittent. When they plugged into the power the current was constant. At some point they touched it accidentally. Constant current caused them unable to let go. They died of heart attack caused by electrocution.
Scary stuff. Properly installed it could be the best deterrent even for bear.
I have bear.:th

Just be careful not to let hotwire come in contact with the dog pen!
I've considered hotwire but it scares me. Read a post somewhere where someone did a DIY. They forgot to add the part that causes the current to be intermittent. When they plugged into the power the current was constant. At some point they touched it accidentally. Constant current caused them unable to let go. They died of heart attack caused by electrocution.
Scary stuff. Properly installed it could be the best deterrent even for bear.
I have bear.:th
I understand your concern; consider though that electric fences have been used for livestock containment for almost 100 years...And Ranchers aren't typically found dead after delivering hay...

Anyhow I think that the average Tractor Supply/Amazon/Southern States is unlikely to have the kind that will burn weeds off.

I understand your concern; consider though that electric fences have been used for livestock containment for almost 100 years...And Ranchers aren't typically found dead after delivering hay...

Anyhow I think that the average Tractor Supply/Amazon/Southern States is unlikely to have the kind that will burn weeds off.

Totally agree. Just need to overcome my own fears.
Not sure about the reference to burning weeds?

Here's another option...
Construction companies use large fence panels to block off their sites. Oftentimes when the job is done they just scrap the panels. You may be able to acquire some at no cost. If you're not wanting to assemble or finish anything yourself, find a local handyman. Maybe even a high school kid or two who is looking for a summer job.

Here's another option...
Construction companies use large fence panels to block off their sites. Oftentimes when the job is done they just scrap the panels. You may be able to acquire some at no cost. If you're not wanting to assemble or finish anything yourself, find a local handyman. Maybe even a high school kid or two who is looking for a summer job.
My .02...Little that is serviceable is scrapped. Even pallets, if they're standard size they are watched over or sold.

Back
Top Bottom